Can I use gas/oil weedeater mix in lawn mower?

Old 05-14-20, 11:22 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use gas/oil weedeater mix in lawn mower?

Certain small engines require oil mixed into gas in about 1:50 ratio.
It is said not to use if mixture is more than two months old.
But if I have some that is close to two months old,
can I use it in my mower ( that uses plain gas ) instead of discarding the soon-to-be-old mixyure?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-20, 12:36 PM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
First off, mixed oil and gas will be fine for many months so just keep using.

If you feel compelled to get rid of it, dilute it with regular gas, say quart per couple gallons and put it in the mower! You will be fine.

Old 05-14-20, 02:07 PM
Received 195 Votes on 176 Posts
I would not recommend it. One is for an oli/gas mix and the other is just gas. Foul up the plugs or the carb and you have pita to take care of. Just take the old two cycle to a recycle or just hold it. Like Marq says it lasts a long time. Or give it to someone who can use it in their 2 cycle engine.

Old 05-14-20, 02:38 PM
H
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
Generally 2 cycle mix doesn't go bad that fast.
Now, if you leave the gas can sitting out in the sun for 2 months in a 120 degree Arizona summer, it might be a problem as high octane the volatiles boil away and leave behind hard-to-pull-start /stale-gasoline, but otherwise it should be fine.

Old 05-14-20, 07:17 PM
M
Received 151 Votes on 138 Posts
I also do not think mixed gas goes bad that fast unless you are storing it in extreme heat.

I would not recommend using it is a straight gas engine. In some engines it will run just fine in others it will foul things up.
Why take a chance.

For years I had a chain saw that mixed gas. Never had a problem with it and the gas often sat for 6 months.
Currently I only have a leaf blower that uses mixed. It gets used in the fall for leaves and during the winter to blow snow off the walk. So the gas sits through the summer and again I have not had any problems. I mix a gallon of gas at a time and that will last me just about a full year.

Old 05-14-20, 09:40 PM
Y
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
A 50:1 ratio is not for every weedeater, blower, chainsaw, etc. Some are 16:1.....32:1....40:1....etc. It is best to use fresh gas and maybe a fuel stabilizer. Or buy ethanol free gas.

Old 05-15-20, 09:42 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Some are 16:1.....32:1....40:1....etc. It is best to use fresh gas..."

Not necessarily so. Mathematically, there's very little difference between 40:1 and 50:1. A two stroke engine recommending one will run just fine on the other. Probably true for 32:1 also.

Old 05-15-20, 10:10 AM
Received 195 Votes on 176 Posts
Actually that's true. There are packets that can be used regardless of the ratio. You just pour the whole packet into the gas and you're set to go. Very popular item during summer months.