Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

​​​​​​​Sprinkler system is not working

Old 07-03-20, 01:34 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I had a busted sprinkler "mainline" just after the double valve winter, 2018. I just now fixed it by adding a PVC Slide Repair Coupling. Now when I turn on the system none of the stations are spraying. Last time it worked just fine. Manually 4 stations work fine, the other two I have never been able to locate their solenoid valves due to ground and grass covering.

When I turn on each station power output of 27...29ish AC volt is there.

What should I do next to trouble shoot?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-20, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
Not sure what zones you are talking about. What 4 sprinklers Or zones worked and how did you turn them on. The little knob on valve? I think if you take solenoid out sprinklers will work.

Old 07-03-20, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Is it possible that when you dug the pipe out that you cut one of the power lines to the solenoids? They are sometimes buried right alongside the supply lines.

Old 07-03-20, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
Since they work manually...... the water supply is present.

When I turn on each station power output of 27...29ish AC volt is there.
Where are you checking for voltage..... right at the valves ?

Old 07-03-20, 09:39 PM
Y
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there something amiss with your controller.......did it fry a fuse or did a wire or two inside the controller come off ?

Old 07-04-20, 12:39 AM
B
should have clarified... system has 6 zones. Zones 1 and 2 solenoid valves are the ones buried. Zones 3-6 work aok by turning the little knob on the valves. Nevertheless, all zones worked just fine before the mishap.

The city water meter, double check valve and breakage area are at the front of the house. The sprinkler controller is in garage at the back of the house. There's no wiring at the meter so not possible to accidentally have cut the power line.

I checked power at the controller while each zone is turned on. Each gave 27ish AC volts. Opened the controller, fuse is ok, 120v power input is ok. Plugged the controller into an extension cord from a different socket and still no joy.

Old 07-04-20, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
Will need to check voltage at solenoid. If no reading at all on any zone I would look at neutral wire going back to controller.

Old 07-07-20, 02:46 PM
B
I got no voltage at zone 2 and 3 and assume the same for the other solenoid. How do I check that neutral wire?

Old 07-08-20, 04:54 AM
B
Received 75 Votes on 66 Posts
If you had to dig to repair the main water line, you cut some of the solenoid wires. Expose the water line repair and check for cut wires and repair.

Old 07-23-20, 06:07 AM
B
The repair is at the front, next to the road and meter unit...there are no wires there. The wires run from the opposite direction of that I.e. from the garage. There's no solenoid valve near the repair so no wires run at the repair. How do I check neutral line or what should be the next step?

Old 07-23-20, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
You need to look at the zone valves. Each valve has two wires. One wire will be the zone color. Each zone is a different color. The second wire on each valve is connected together and that connects to the neutral or common wire. You need to look at your controller for zone colors and common color.

Looking at my demo wiring diagram. You can see each valve has it's own color and all share the common. If one zone wire were to break.... just that one zone wouldn't work. If no zones work..... it's usually a problem with the common wire.

Old 08-12-20, 04:15 PM
B
Since non of my zones are working does that mean the solution is to install a new neutral wire? Or what options do I have now to deal with this neutral wire?

Old 08-12-20, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
You need to know your wiring. See what leaves the controller. See how the zones match. Many times there is a spare wire or two in the cable.

If you look at my diagram. I show black as neutral. There are seven wires in that cable but it could have been an eight wire cable which means a spare.

Write down the colors on your controller. Go out to the zone valves and see what colors match.