Will the grill cause too much heat?

Old 07-08-20, 03:08 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Will the grill cause too much heat?

I hope I'm putting this in the right area, and please move it if need be.

Backstory: my wife and I have a new house (1.5 yrs old, still new to us.) You can't see it in the photo attahed, but the backyard slopes away from the house immediately from the back porch. 20% grade, very little level area.

Ok, so now I'm hoping to add a grill so that we can use it in the summer. as you can see below, the back porch can hold it, but I'm concerned about the heat and vinyl siding. I'm planning on placing it at the corner, which is 8 foot to the beam, and 8'9" to the ceiling, which is vinyl siding.
The grill I'm considering is 36K BTU, 4 burner. Is there enough air flow to prevent damage to the vinyl above? Should I consider somehow creating a flat area out on the lawn to hold it?

Old 07-08-20, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Based on my setup the heat isn't a problem.
It's the grease and soot in the smoke that will stain that siding black.

Old 07-08-20, 03:38 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Your fine, the heat 6" away from the grill is hardly noticeable, worst issue smoke may drift back into the covered area.

Grill away!!!

Old 07-08-20, 04:04 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Now, just to make sure you understand, the grill will be placed BENEATH that upper area when grilling. that upper area is vinyl, too. I agree that the air movement shouldn't affect the overhead vinyl, but I just wanted to get other's opinions and input.

Old 07-08-20, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You're putting the grille directly below the covered beam.
Half the heat will go under and half will go out.

Is it a propane unit ?
Put it there and do a trial cooking run. Check the ceiling when done.

Marvinator voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-20, 05:05 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So you think the vinyl 5' above the grill is going to melt due to the heat from the grill, unless your melting lead that 5' of air gap will be more than sufficient.

Your good, grill away!

Old 07-08-20, 05:06 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
For years I had a 3 burner Weber grill just 5-6' away from vinyl siding. While I did not do a lot of smoking (except ribs and the occasional Boston Butt) on the grill, in the summer we grill out almost every night. I never had a problem with any heat or smoke damage to the siding.

My suggestion - fire up the grill and pay attention. Check for hot spots on the siding when the grill is fired up. I think you will be surprised.

Old 07-10-20, 05:58 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The heat from the grill will create an air current around and above the grill. I agree with the others.

Old 07-10-20, 06:33 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
How about just building a small (BBQ size) wood deck off the concrete deck.
Make it sturdy but simple so that if if shifts a little it will be easy to level.
Put a bit of a cub around the outside edge so the BBQ cannot roll off.

It will give you a little more clearance to the vinyl, give a little more room on the concrete deck and move the BBQ out some from the roof.

Old 07-10-20, 06:36 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with heat warping the vinyl, but you might have an issue with smoke and grease.

Next time you got to the store, grab an 18" wide roll of parchment paper, then scotch-tape a few sheets directly above where you are grilling. Try the grill a few times, and see how much grease / soot accumulates.

FYI, I keep a cheap fan on the patio to make grilling on really hot humid days comfortable -
So if you're worried about heat/staining, get a cheap pivoting fan

set it on the floor and point it so that the airflow hits your neck/head and the porch ceiling. Makes grilling on a hot day more comfortable AND keeps the soot and grease off the porch ceiling.

clancy voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: