Low Voltage Lighting

Old 07-11-20, 11:46 PM
H
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Low Voltage Lighting

I have a Hampton Bay Low Voltage lighting transformer. It was there when we moved in and has worked fine, Iím thinking itís probably at least 10 years old.

tonight there was a green light on that said ďcheck circuitĒ. And the lights didnít turn on.

i tried to look online for a manual but couldnít find anything. I donít have the exact model number (it was dark). Any ideas where I should start looking? Or is it time for replacement?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-20, 12:40 AM
Received 309 Votes on 289 Posts
Personally I'd get the flashlight out and find that model number and find the manual and see what it says but that's just me!

Drangd voted this post useful.
Old 07-12-20, 03:38 AM
H
Itís a model XR071 300w transformer. I googled but I could find the manual online. The only thing I found was for another similar brand...the Progress Lighting P8518.

it said to check the voltage cable to make sure itís inserted correctly. It is. Itís been working fine until this point.

check for overload of short circuits. the load hasnít changed.

check and make sure fixtures are correctly installed. Which they are. Itís just suddenly not working. it was fine yesterday, not today.

thats all it says about the light. Any thoughts?

Old 07-12-20, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 909 Votes on 849 Posts
I'd imagine "check circuit" means the load is too heavy signifying a short in the wiring.
The first place to start is to disconnect the wiring from the transformer.
If the light remains off..... you'll need to check further into the wiring.

I don't think that transformer can sense a short in the wiring to ground.
If you have an ohmmeter.... you can check across the wires and then from each one to ground.

Old 07-12-20, 12:50 PM
D
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
10 years old might be corrosion and the resistance in the circuit has gotten to high. As stated check the connections, clean and use some grease on the connections when you put them back together.

Old 07-14-20, 04:00 AM
H
I found the issue. There was a second low voltage wire leading to a single light that was lodged in mud under the deck. Looks like an animal had chewed through the wire. Since it was all buried including the light I didnít even know it was there.

i disconnected that wire from the transformer and boom all the other lights are back as normal.

thanks!

Drangd voted this post useful.