Low Voltage Lighting

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-11-20, 11:46 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 96
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Low Voltage Lighting

I have a Hampton Bay Low Voltage lighting transformer. It was there when we moved in and has worked fine, Iím thinking itís probably at least 10 years old.

tonight there was a green light on that said ďcheck circuitĒ. And the lights didnít turn on.

i tried to look online for a manual but couldnít find anything. I donít have the exact model number (it was dark). Any ideas where I should start looking? Or is it time for replacement?

thanks!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-12-20, 12:40 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 6,077
Received 309 Votes on 289 Posts
Personally I'd get the flashlight out and find that model number and find the manual and see what it says but that's just me!
 
Drangd voted this post useful.
  #3  
Old 07-12-20, 03:38 AM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 96
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Itís a model XR071 300w transformer. I googled but I could find the manual online. The only thing I found was for another similar brand...the Progress Lighting P8518.

it said to check the voltage cable to make sure itís inserted correctly. It is. Itís been working fine until this point.

check for overload of short circuits. the load hasnít changed.

check and make sure fixtures are correctly installed. Which they are. Itís just suddenly not working. it was fine yesterday, not today.

thats all it says about the light. Any thoughts?
 
  #4  
Old 07-12-20, 10:56 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 57,667
Received 909 Votes on 849 Posts
I'd imagine "check circuit" means the load is too heavy signifying a short in the wiring.
The first place to start is to disconnect the wiring from the transformer.
If the light remains off..... you'll need to check further into the wiring.

I don't think that transformer can sense a short in the wiring to ground.
If you have an ohmmeter.... you can check across the wires and then from each one to ground.
 
  #5  
Old 07-12-20, 12:50 PM
D
Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 116
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
10 years old might be corrosion and the resistance in the circuit has gotten to high. As stated check the connections, clean and use some grease on the connections when you put them back together.
 
  #6  
Old 07-14-20, 04:00 AM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 96
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I found the issue. There was a second low voltage wire leading to a single light that was lodged in mud under the deck. Looks like an animal had chewed through the wire. Since it was all buried including the light I didnít even know it was there.

i disconnected that wire from the transformer and boom all the other lights are back as normal.

thanks!
 
Drangd voted this post useful.
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: