Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

anyone have experience with honda GX240 tiller depth controll?

anyone have experience with honda GX240 tiller depth controll?

Old 07-29-20, 09:45 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
anyone have experience with Honda FRC800K1A tiller depth controll?

so, some backroung:

. I live in an area that is very gravelie (sp), so homes in my area only have a few inches of decent soil to grow a lawn.
I overseeded couple parts in the front lawn last fall, including a couple of dead areas (maybe 5,000 sq ft). I also topdressed it some.

my mistake was using "kentucky-31" grass. I " ass-u-me(d)" that it was a brand of kentucky blue grass. I was wrong!

now I want o kill the lawn, rent the above tiller, till it and re-seed it. The problem is that because of the limited depth of the loam, I dont want to till too deep, or else I'll just pull up all the rocks.

I've never a tiller where there was any type of depth adjustment. Can you adjust depth to only a couple inches in, or not really?

thoughts? recommendations?

Live in Western MA.

Last edited by newhomeshopper; 07-29-20 at 11:23 AM. Reason: wrong model number
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-20, 11:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Honda GX240 is the engine which doesn't tell us anything about the tiller. Is it a Honda FRC800 tiller or is it another brand tiller that happens to have a Honda GX240 engine?

Most tillers do not have an absolute depth control. It largely depends on the operator to control the depth. Generally limiting the tilling to only a couple inches isn't too much trouble. If you just want to scuff up the surface to plant grass a powered dethatcher would be better. If you have a tractor there are several implements that could also do the job.

Old 07-29-20, 11:25 AM
N
thanks for the response. I don't have a tractor (well, I have a lawn tractor, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean).

You're right, that was not the wright info. I corrected it. The tiller is a Honda Model # FRC800K1A-656912

Old 07-29-20, 02:52 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Wrong time of year to be doing anything except cutting the lawn.
If there's not enough top soil you can not expect much to grow.

Old 07-29-20, 03:04 PM
N
I dont plan on doing it for late august/early September, but wanted to ask the questions to come up with a plan.

theres usually 4-6 inches, but I dont want to chance it by going that deep.

just trying to get my ducks in a row instead of waiting till the last minute