Lawn Parched, Fertilizing Due, WWYD?

Old 07-29-20, 10:30 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Lawn Parched, Fertilizing Due, WWYD?

Due to the sandy soil the lawn turns beige mighty fast instead of grow roots downward to take advantage of less often longer deeper watering.

Now a heat wave (over 90 F) has started and fertilizing is scheduled a week away.

1. Should I cancel the fertilizing and let the lawn go uncared for until fall arrives and then fertilize?

2. Should I keep the fertilizing appointment water the lawn every day to green it up first?

3. Should I leave it dry and do the fertilizing on schedule expecting that the lawn will take the fertilizer and green up immediately upon the next rainstorm?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-20, 11:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Do not fertilize during the hottest part of summer. Your lawn is naturally going dormant likely because of the heat. Fertilize in the fall when the lawn naturally greens and grows more rapidly.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 07-29-20, 11:30 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
I used to water like crazy during the summer and just got tired of dealing with the constant effort that sprinkler system was supposed to eliminate.

Now it goes dormant and then greens up when cooler/wetter weather returns.

If your watering constantly now you can fertilize and keep watering, or hold off, one or the other!

Old 07-29-20, 02:40 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Go on this website and see what the pros suggest.
https://www.scotts.com/en-us
I'm with Pilot on this one.
Some of those so called "lawn treatment" company's do not make a dime unless they show up and spray something on your lawn and just rip you off.
Summer should be there off season, but they have payroll to make.

Old 07-29-20, 02:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
If you water liberally and fertilize you create a perfect situation for brown spot. It's a fungal disease that hits usually during the hottest part of summer. When grass grows slow it has a tough outer skin that the fungus can't get past. Rapidly growing grass might be lovely green and soft under foot but that thin, soft skin is more susceptible to disease.

---
I have a small area of highly manicured "pretty grass" which I used to keep actively growing all summer with light fertilizer applications and plenty of water. It's pretty but during July and August I need to regularly apply fungicides to avoid disease. And, to make matters worse funguses develop resistance so I had to rotate the products I apply.

This year I'm trying low maintenance. I'm giving it adequate water but I have not fertilized since early June. The grass is still mostly green though not the lush, dark green of previous years. I have had no disease problems and have not had to apply any chemicals.

Old 07-29-20, 07:51 PM
Y
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
You did not mention what type of grass you have. But, I would water deeply and not fertilize.

Old 07-30-20, 03:48 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately I do not know what kind of grass it is. But I don't want to have to rototill it all up and reseed with a known kind of grass.