Lawn Soil

Old 08-23-20, 01:06 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Lawn Soil

Does Lowes or Home Depot sell any decent lawn soil, in bags, that is not full of bark, twigs and rocks? Any other that you can recommend? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-20, 02:18 PM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
top soil is top soil, I cant imagine buying by the bag, I buy at least yards which I bring home with trailer or have it delivered!

Old 08-23-20, 04:47 PM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Yea, I don't think your going to find it by the bag in any bulk. Figure a cubic foot of soil will weigh 50-100lbs. Most bag mulch comes in 2 cubic foot bags so you can see the dilemma you'd have in carrying it. Locally I can buy 7 cubic feet (1/4 yard) for a little more than $13. You do need access to a truck to get it home. If I did not have a truck I think the local landscape supplier would charge me $10 for small loads.

Old 08-24-20, 05:11 AM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
Actually 40 pound bag of garden soil if very common in this area. The brand is called GOODEARTH.
Very popular. It's a cross between potting soil and top soil. This is the closest you'll get to sifted topsoil in bag. Occasionally it will have twigs. Most people user it to fill in areas that need it. But it's not meant to re-landscape an area. As others have stated, you buy sifted (or non-sifted...a bit cheaper) soil by the truck or half truck load. Even with sifted top soil you'll get a few stones, and pieces of "garbage".

Old 08-24-20, 05:56 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Norm you're from NY so you understand. I've tried Scott Lawn Soil last year and it was 30% twigs, wood chips etc. I will look for Good Earth. Thanks

Old 08-24-20, 07:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
Most bagged topsoil is actually a manufactured product usually containing varying amounts of compost, mulch, sand and sometimes actual dirt. Topsoil is usually mined from the top layer of a field making it scarce and expensive. Manufacturers that bag and distribute need something they can supply all year long, from one location (their factory) so they make "soil". It's not as good as real topsoil but if it's all you can get... Real topsoil is usually purchased from a garden center or landscape supplier and is sold by the scoop or yard and is not bagged. Even with a landscape source you need to inspect the topsoil as quality varies widely.