Crushed stone patio and roots

Old 08-28-20, 10:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crushed stone patio and roots

We just had trees down. There is an area in the backyard where we would like to put a pea gravel patio. However, there are old roots all over the place, none really raised much above ground.

Whether than spend a fortune excavating the area and roots, i'm thinking I can elevate the area by placing edging about 6 inches high, which would more than cover the roots. Then I would lay landscape fabric and the pea gravel.

Just curious if anyone sees any potential issues with this? I know roots can be bad for pavers, but I pea gravel would be less impacted.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-20, 12:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Have you ever walked on pea gravel or tried to set a chair or table on pea gravel? It's round shape means it never compacts or gets solid. Pea gravel will always be like loose marbles. But yes, you can build a little retaining perimeter and fill the area with gravel.

Old 08-28-20, 01:49 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

so are you saying that things like furniture on pea gravel wouldn't work? I understand its like loose marbles but I would think deep enough would make it relatively sturdy. How deep should I go down with gravel for best results if I'm using soil as the base? I had previously read 2-3 inches is ideal

Old 08-28-20, 04:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
The walkways in my garden are pea gravel. Shallower pea gravel is better if you want to set furniture as the legs just push through the pea gravel and don't stop sinking until they hit something firm like the ground.

If you like the look of pea gravel I'd build your retaining perimeter. Make sure it's anchored well so it can't move. Then fill your patio area with decomposed granite or crushed stone dust. These materials will easily go over the roots but can be compacted down to be almost rock hard. Then put a couple inches of pea gravel on top. You'll get the pea gravel look you like and furniture legs can end up sitting on the compacted stone dust below.

YaddaYadda voted this post useful.