1 sprinkler zone always leaks water

Old 09-05-20, 06:45 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 sprinkler zone always leaks water

One of my underground zones leaks water even if the sprinkler is off. I made sure at the valve box it was tight all the way. Is this a cleaning of the valve and diaphragm or is a new one in order? Rather than replace everything, last time, with a different zone I left the attached part and just replaced the guts and top. I am not sure if I can find this same brand to do that again.

Old 09-05-20, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,353 Votes on 1,251 Posts
Are you sure that zone is actually leaking ?
The reason I ask is because with a low head on a long run the water can trickle out for hours until the line is empty.

You could verify a leak by shutting off the water supply valve to the sprinkler system.

Most valves are rebuildable. The biggest problem I've had is getting to them when they're down in a pit.

Old 09-05-20, 11:10 AM
W
Thanks for the reply. Yes, in order to screw it out, I have to take out the one next to it as well. I think they put the valves in the pipe assembly, prior to putting it in the box, since their is no room to unscrew it out, without removing the next zone. I took it apart and cleaned it with water. Now it doesn't turn off, even with the electric off. I will try taking it apart again. The only cleaning is the spring area and the screw hole, correct? I just cleaned the screw hole and left the solenoid on. I will try unscrewing and screwing back the solenoid and give that area a cleaning.
I tried again and it still leaks a bit. I turned off the water and it stops but when the water is turned on, it starts leaking again. Does the solenoid only have an on and off position and no trinkling mode?

Last edited by willkeeptrying; 09-05-20 at 11:52 AM. Reason: adding something
Old 09-05-20, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,353 Votes on 1,251 Posts
Does the solenoid only have an on and off position and no trinkling mode?
There is a way to turn the valve on manually. Some have a little screw or know that gets turned. Some you turn the solenoid. It would be helpful to know what valves you are working on.

A picture would be helpful.... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 09-07-20, 10:10 AM
W
Thanks for that info. I ended up replacing the valve. Once I got it out ( by having to remove the one next to it), I saw it was a richdel. Funny, now that zone works and another one isn't turning on. The other one has a bleed screw and although water comes out of the bleed screw when I turn it, the sprinklers don't turn on. I noticed corrosion at the top of the solenoid so I will change that, although the bleed screw i thought, bypasses that. .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: