Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Will this PVC pipe okay to use for sprinkler system?

Old 09-15-20, 10:15 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I insert a 20 feet 3/4 inch (internal diameter), 3cm(outer diameter) PVC pipe (2 x 10 feet pipe with coupling) underneath my driveway last year. Because there was soil sink underneath the driveway, so I was able to insert the pipe in. But I definitely used the pipe itself as a tool to strike the pipe through the way out from the other end of the driveway. I am planning to use this pipe as a sprinkler supply line. But 2 concerns I have and I am not sure if using this pipe is viable or a good idea.

1. As I mentioned above, the pipe it self may have some scratch from last year while I trying to get it through the gap under the driveway. Will this cause the pipe to be easier to burst.

2. As the pipe is right underneath the driveway, which means cars are driving on that daily. Will the pressure cause the pipe to fail? I think most of the pipe may have some distance to directly contact with the slabs. But there may be some contact point.

I live in the mid-west of the US. temperature can reach to -10 to -20 C during winter. And I don't think I can get the pipe out and replace/insert a new one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-20, 10:31 AM
Received 347 Votes on 323 Posts
Pipe will be fine, if the end is distorted or scratched due to installation just trim it off before making connections.

The slab will be handling the weight of vehicles so pipe will be fine.

Come winter you will be winterizing/draining all the lines so freezing will not be an issue!

Old 09-15-20, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
You're using the PVC as a mechanical sleeve to protect the black poly pipe.
I don't see you having any issues there.

That black poly is pretty tough stuff. Surface scratches won't hurt it.

Old 09-16-20, 06:46 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That was my plan last year. I am going to remove the poly pipe and just use the PVC pipe as I believe this gives me better GPM and easier to install.

Old 09-16-20, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,021 Votes on 947 Posts
Yes.... it gives you more GPM.
You can only assume the PVC line under the driveway is ok until you actually connect it.
Beating it thru shouldn't have hurt the pipe other than the ends.