Brick water damage

Old 09-17-20, 12:45 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick water damage

We have a flower bed along the side of our house that wraps around a brick wall which supports a cantilever room above.

i suspect water is running down the cinder block wall within the harden bed and down the brick wall where it collects against the bricked area. You can see the damage at the bottom of the bricked area. Large gaps have also formed in the first column of the retaining wall blocks.

what can I do to prevent further water damage on the bricks? Weeping tile of some sort?

Old 09-17-20, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 997 Votes on 908 Posts
Well there is no real solution to that problem as long as you have 40" of soil and plants there.

Brick is not really designed to go below grade... any product below grade needs to be waterproofed, which yours is not... and the current practice is to either lay brick and incorporate weep holes or wicks to allow moisture to escape. Your brick wall does not have that and it's a little impossible to retrofit. Plus it is taking on water (presumably from the soil and landscaping... but it could also be coming from above at the siding level) and since water flows downward the problem shows up especially at the bottom once the water has nowhere else to go.

Frost is likely what's popping the brick. Wet bricks explode when it's cold enough to freeze.

If I was going to make a suggestion, it would be to excavate a trench along the house, clean the brick off, let it dry, then coat it with several coats of waterproofing before filling it back in again. This assumes the problem is from the soil. You could also have a cracked drainage pipe underground. Excavating it is a no brainer.

Old 09-17-20, 03:51 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great. Thank you. Never thought it might be coming off the siding too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: