How do I over seed when I still have to mow??

Old 09-18-20, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Every year I go through this. I prep the lawn (dethatch, aerate) then overseed it. Before I can get grass growing I end up blowing it all over the lawn the next time I mow. I've tried the watering it between mowing times but this new smart seed is so heavily coated with fertilizer I can't get it to dissolve the coating enough to get the seed started. What am I doing wrong??? Does it need constant watering like from a sprinkler?? I've even tried throwing some dirt over it then hosing that down til it's good and wet but I still fail.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-20, 02:10 PM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
Overseeding is sort of a misleading name.

If you throw seed into the lawn, and it doesn't make it down to the ground nothing is going to grow vs a new lawn were the seed gets directly into the dirt.

So you still have to water, germination is still the top priority, but overseeding vs seeding is always going to produce a lot less grass!

Old 09-18-20, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
This may sound crazy but one good way to keep grass seed moist is to get a bag of cellulose insulation and break it up, and scatter it over the seeded areas then water it down. It helps the ground stay moist between waterings.

But yes, you can't let new grass seed dry out... You usually need to water it at least twice a day.

Last edited by XSleeper; 09-19-20 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-20, 08:31 AM
I guess that explains why I keep failing at this. I thought that was the purpose of thatching first then going over it with the aerator was to open up the soil. I've got about an acre of grass so keeping it properly watered is hard when we don't get rain for weeks at a time. I've been wetting it down every day with the hose but by afternoon the wind has dried the seed out again. I have been basically putting the seed over bare spots where it is coming in contact with the dirt. I'm gonna give the cellulose a shot and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help, knew I had to be doing something wrong LOL

Old 09-19-20, 11:22 AM
Overseeding is when you have existing grass, you dont need to cover with anything.

If you have bare dirt, you really should put down straw, maybe the cellulose, but it your just throwing seed down onto bare ground a vast majority of the seed will not stay wet and not germinate.

Aeration has nothing to do with new lawns, it's an established lawn activity to promote root growth.

And as noted, if you have dead grass it actually helps hold moisture for the new seed, dont need to remove!

Ive got several areas of dead grass from the summer that we seeded a few weeks ago and it's coming in great, especially now with the cool weather!

Old 09-19-20, 12:21 PM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
A) Over-seed in small strips, then use a reel mower. It will cut the grass without ripping it out.
B) Make sure that you have the mower blades crazy sharp. You literally want a "singing blade" which means that the blade rings like a wine glass when you rub the edge. This requires taking the blades off the lawnmower, grinding to ensure a flat edge, balancing the blade and re-grinding. Put on leather work gloves to protect your hands if you slip, then file the edge; then hone and harden the edge with a whetstone or The blade should now be razor sharp, (not kidding, it should shave take the hair off your forearm.) Then cut the lawn, but with the mower set at the maximum height, and throttle at full power

Old 09-20-20, 07:31 AM
Don't know if I mentioned this, but I have just about an acre of grass. I sprayed it during the summer to kill off the clover that was taking over. Those are the areas I'm trying to over-seed. I use a 20hp lawn tractor. I keep my blades extra sharp, otherwise it hacks the grass. Living in the village I get leaves from not just my trees but every tree on the street LOL. I have to use a bagger because to just mulch them, leaves too much debris. That mess I throw on a mulch pile until they breakdown into good soil, which I then throw back over the yard. I mow in 4th gear with a deck setting of 4 or 5 depending on time of year.
Before they came out with this "smart seed" I never had a problem over seeding. This "smart seed" is supposed to need less water, not more. Now I'm using 3 times the water just to get that fertilizer hull off the seed. Finding seed without it is near impossible.

Old 09-20-20, 11:15 AM
Finding seed without it is near impossible.
Your looking at the wrong place, my landscape supply has 8 different grades, 3lb to 50lb bags!

That krap they sell at BBS is way to expensive and obviously not such good quality!

Old 09-21-20, 07:53 AM
When you say " Landscape supply company" what do you mean? You're right I usually get mine at the BBS, and you're right it's expensive and when it never does anything it becomes even more expensive.

Old 09-21-20, 08:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
"Landscape supply company" is just like it sounds. If you search online for "landscape supply" those businesses will appear. If you have agriculture in your area you can also get seed from farm suppliers. The bags are bigger, usually 50lb is the only size, but the price is much better.

Old 09-21-20, 11:37 AM
When you say " Landscape supply company" what do you mean?
The place you go buy shrubs, mulch, flowers, trees, not the BBS!

Old 09-23-20, 09:32 AM
Ok thanks I'll check it out.

Old 09-26-20, 08:32 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm confused when you guys are stating stores as Home Depot & Lowes (you call BBS) grass seed is of poorly quality over landscaping dealers. I get the cost is more compared to buying 50lb bags, but for the majority of home owners, the common two smaller bags are more than enough. Names like Scotts & Pennington for example I would find hard to believe are poorer quality.

Old 09-26-20, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
you guys are stating stores as Home Depot & Lowes (you call BBS) grass seed is of poorly quality
I think only one person said that.

The point is, the op is going to seed an acre of lawn, so you would not buy 100 5lb boxes of seed at a premium price from the box store. You would go to a landscaping company, farm store or seed company and buy in bulk. Because it would surely be more economical. I don't think box stores stock 50 or 100 lb bags of seed.

Old 09-26-20, 10:55 AM
V
No one challenged him on that.
Economics was not in question as I already stated.

Old 09-26-20, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
We don't typically "challenge" things people say that are purely their opinion.

Old 09-26-20, 11:35 AM
V
Then how does one separate "opinion" from "fact" since there seems to be excess non-fact out there??

Old 09-27-20, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
While we will correct misinformation, a lot of advice given on the forums is more about the posters' views. It's up to the reader to look at all the advice and determine what will best work for their situation.

I think our local big box stores sell 50lb bags of grass seed. I have no idea how their price compares to other vendors.