How late is too late to plant grass?

Old 09-22-20, 11:25 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How late is too late to plant grass?

I'm going to tackle fixing my patchy/weedy lawn. I'm going to spray some Tenacity this week to try to kill the broadleaves, dandelions and clover. Assuming this is successful after a week or so, is it too late in the season to move forward with de-thatching and spreading new grass seed? Should I be waiting until spring to try to overseed new grass? I live in central MN.

Old 09-22-20, 11:50 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Your way too late, lower MI had pretty heavy frost last weekend, although warmer this week first of Sept is about the last day to have seed on the ground up North otherwise it's just going to sit and rot over the winter!

Old 09-22-20, 12:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
I would think you are even too late to apply a herbicide like Tenacity. The plants/weeds need to be actively growing for the herbicide to kill them. I wouldn't mind using a cheap herbicide like glyphosate (which will kill your grass in addition to weeds) but Tenacity is considerably more expensive. I would hold off until you know the money has a good chance of doing something. You might get lucky. If your forecast calls for unusually warm and sunny weather for the next week or two I might try but your 2020 lawn care season is pretty much in the rear view mirror.

Old 09-22-20, 12:22 PM
C
Don't people often spray Tenacity even after the first frost, which we still haven't had here? I've already bought the Tenacity, and based on it's mixing ratio I don't think I'll be running out of it for a while.

Old 09-22-20, 03:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
It all depends on the plants. If they are actively growing then the weeds can take in the herbicide and be killed.

Old 09-22-20, 04:11 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Your probably good for killing weeds but for seed you need a good 4-6 weeks of warm weather and were fast approaching fall, colors are changing!

Old 09-26-20, 09:36 AM
V
If there hasn't been a "frost" and the lowest temperature was around 37F, (only 1 or 2 nights) and the daytime temperature has been above 60, does that chance things?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: