Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Applying 2nd treatment of weed killer after using 'T-Zone'

Old 09-26-20, 10:09 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

A week ago 'T-Zone' was used mostly on ground ivy. There are other assured weeds. It was sprayed on using a hand sprayer where it was needed (about 75%+ of the lawn).
The temperature was above 60 when it was applied. There has been NO 'frost' nights yet, the lowest temperature was around 37 degrees for 1, maybe 2 nights. Daytime temps have been in the 60's & 70's, two days around 80. The grass has a very course (to me) blade, I don't know what it is.

There are a couple of bags of Scotts 'weed killer' (granular) to use with a 'drop spreader' that would like to apply. Is a week enough to wait for this additional application?

(FYI; this is not my lawn, I haven't seen it since the initial application. I'm waiting for a report of if any visible weed killing has occurred yet. His total 'lot' is one acre (including the house and a separate 3 truck garage.)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-20, 11:39 AM
V
The plan also included spreading Scotts "Winterizer" fertilizer over the same areas. When can that be applied, or it doesn't matter?

Old 09-26-20, 12:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
It's a bit too late for effective herbicide use. With nights down in the 30's most lawn weeds are going dormant or are in serious slow mode. Herbicides should be applied when the plants are still actively growing. The herbicide will probably still work but the plants will take much longer to absorb the it and show signs of death.

Old 09-26-20, 01:48 PM
V
I knew it was a problem with ground ivy, I didn't know that was across the board.

Ok, how about fertilizer?

Old 09-27-20, 03:53 AM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
Why are you wanting to install fertilizer over an area your just killed everything off?

Old 09-27-20, 05:51 AM
V
Where in any of my posts did I state that I used a 'ground cover' type of vegetation killer??
Answer; NO WHERE !

Old 09-27-20, 08:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Same thing goes for fertilizer. It doesn't do much good if the grass isn't actively growing. Your season is near the end. Fertilizing won't really hurt, it just won't help much. Heavy rains can wash much of the fertilizer away before your lawn has a chance to use it.

If you have nights getting into the 30's then the grass isn't growing much. The key is what is your soil temperature since that has the biggest affect on the plant's growth rate. Here is a chart showing the growth rate for fescue as a function of temperature. About 23c (73f) is about it's peak. At about 9c (50f) it grows at half speed. At 6c (43 f) it's down to 25%. You can see that the growth curve is pretty steep and the grass has stopped growing completely even above freezing.

videobruce voted this post useful.
Old 09-28-20, 08:49 AM
V
There were only 2 nights that the temp. was below 40 degrees. The new grass I planted on my own lawn, has been growing, in fact I have cut the lawn twice just because the new grass was 2x the height of the rest of the lawn, probably due to selective watering.
I'll have to take some temp. readings of the ground.

Old 09-28-20, 09:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
You don't need to take the temperature. If the grass and weeds are actively growing then they can take in the herbicide.