Sprinkler controller - Hunter Hydrawise

Old 10-01-20, 05:00 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sprinkler controller - Hunter Hydrawise

Hi!

I am about to select an installer for a sprinkler system. They only install Hunter Pro C controllers--but give credit for the controller and will hang/wire up a Hunter Hydrawise controller if I buy it. They will NOT support the configuration/setup of the 'smart controller'.

I am in IT, and have installed an Ecobee smart stat, etc. I am not scared by installing an app and configuring run time. My question is this: is there a quality concern in these smart controllers vs the 'dumb' controller they completely support?

Wondering if I would be setting myself up for trouble if I opt for the Hydrawise.

Old 10-02-20, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
I'm saddened by Hunters website. From downloadable information selected in English to be a different language. Spelling errors are a major turn off.

Just found out this controller runs on the 2.4ghz band so it needs to be running on your router.
Their technical info is somewhat fragmented. If I'm reading correctly.... you can change the length of each zone.

3. You can change individual zone times after the wizard is complete

Hunter HCC direct use

sirk98 voted this post useful.
Old 10-02-20, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
I added Hunter Hydrawise to the title. There is some good info in this thread.

Old 10-05-20, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the additional information.
Feel free to stop by in the future and let us know how the system is working,

Old 10-01-20, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
I have not used that sprinkler control so I looked into some of your concerns.
It shouldn't be an issue for your installer to install it and use the manual control to check the zones.
You should be able to program the unit for wifi and watering times.

That unit uses "local" weather information to tell the controller when it's raining. Apparently you are connected to one of the Hunter weather locations which may not be accurate enough. If you want to pick your own.... it's an additional $65 a year.

I read that when you program the zones that they must all be the same time. This was confirmed by a review on amazon so that will take a little looking into.

amazon has many customer reviews and well as complaints. Check them out for the unit you want to get.

Old 10-01-20, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I am working mine and it is a pro c 300 or 3000 Don't remember which. That dosen't mater. The pro c 400 has different faces one is the non wifi and the other is wifi. My 20+ year old can have different settings for each zone and different times set.
Have just got sprinklers working after 20 years they have been broken. Fun chore find control valves and broken lines. Just m oved in and neighbor said he hasn't seen them work in 20 years.

Old 10-01-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
This is the Hunter Hydrawise...... I guessed the HC model. I see there is a standard and a pro version.... PHC.

This is a review. I have not confirmed it as there are different models involved and we don't which model in particular is being used here. I posted this just so the OP is aware of a possible issue.

Most Hydrawise controllers have 2 modes. A standard mode, and an advanced mode. With the Hunter Hydrawise HC model (the one most homeowners would probably purchase), you can't change between the standard mode and the advance mode. You are stuck with the advance mode. What this means is, you CANNOT have different watering times for different zones.

Old 10-02-20, 05:59 AM
B
Received 227 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I would take the advice of the installer. He could have easily stuck you with what you wanted since it would probably be more profit for him. Nice to hear about the contractor looking out for the customer.

Old 10-02-20, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
The PRO C is what I have. It's their decent controller but has no wifi capability. I can understand the installers point as most of those guys have no experience in wifi setups. Plus they become responsible for wifi issues when there is a signal strength issues.

Old 10-02-20, 02:33 PM
S
Thanks, as always!, for the excellent replies. I absolutely get the installers point of view. My Ecobee has not been completely flawless on the HVAC side-- if an installer supplied this and I had issues, I would expect support.

I need to look at the difference between the HC-1200i that I ordered (and may want to return?) and the Pro HC. I am not clear what the Pro HC has that I can or can not live without as yet.

Sounds like the system itself IS supportable by the installer, as they say, even if I opt for this controller. I think the wireless route is indeed the way to go

Old 10-02-20, 03:33 PM
S
Hi!

I have been SCOURING Amazon and Hunter website, and its amazing to me that there is not a comprehensive listing of the differences between the HC and the PHC models. There is a superficial one, sure, but nothing that spells out gems like this:

Hunter Support - Wifi Specs
Wi-Fi Checklist: Network Types
  • Hunter HC controller is 802.11 B/G
  • Hunter WAND controller is 802.11 B/G/N
  • Hunter Pro-HC controller is 802.11 B/G/N
  • Hunter HPC controller is 802.11 B/G/N
  • Hunter HCC controller is 802.11 B/G/N
That is a deal breaker for me. I dont want any G devices on my network, if I can help it. I really wish they were transparent about this. That Pro C model is starting to look good again, now that I have to return the HC model I ordered yesterday.

Old 10-02-20, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Glad to be reading this. Have the pro C 300, the difference between the pro c 300 and the pro C 400 is there is one extra connection for sprinklers. I had to add a module to add more sprinkler zones. Was going to go with wifi version reading this I think I will stick with what I have.

Old 10-05-20, 05:05 PM
S
I called Hunter today. Turns out there is another, IMO, BETTER option.

Instead of me returning the HC-1200i (which the support tech said is a 'fine controller', but he thinks the wiring is a little cramped) and buying the PHC-1200 (which is capped at 12 zones, BTW)-- I can do the following:
  1. I will have the installer go ahead and install the Pro-C.
  2. I will buy the HPC-FP (wifi 'faceplate'), which turns the Pro-C into a Hydrawise controller--super simple to install, and half the price of the PHC-1200. I believe this will also allow me to add more zones later
So, that is the plan! Hope this is helpful to others

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: