Landscape Edging and Winter??

Old 10-02-20, 01:11 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Landscape Edging and Winter??

I'm directing this question specifically to people who live in snowy areas or have training in landscaping in these types of areas.
This is my first year of being in a snow-belt. I did alot of yard work and I'm not sure what to do to 'close it all up' for winter.
Mostly I'm asking about yard edging....the plastic rails you put around gardens and shrubs that is attached to the ground with long spikes.
Am I supposed to pull all that up and store it for winter, or does it just stay in the ground until the spring?
I was careful in selecting plants that will re-grow next spring and will survive the winter, but I don't know what to do about the edging. I spent a fair bit of money on this and it looks like it would be ok under the snow but I don't know.... I was hoping someone could give me some advice because this whole "4-seasons" thing is really giving me a headache

Old 10-02-20, 01:36 PM
Received 537 Votes on 497 Posts
So I have to admit your question brought a chuckle, no, nothing has to be removed!

Funny thing, over the last 2 years I have removed hundreds of feet of this stuff that I installed 12 years ago going back to a live grass edge.

Have literally a ton of this sitting in the woods, make me a deal and come get it!

notsodumbblonde voted this post useful.
Old 10-02-20, 03:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
Depending on the winter frost heave may lift your edging but it's OK to leave in place over winter. Worst case you may need to straighten or re-set some of the edging next spring but I certainly would not remove it.

Old 10-03-20, 06:50 AM
J
Received 108 Votes on 95 Posts
I'm with Marq1 on this one, I've been paid many times to remove it, never once to install it.
Even in the area where I live with no frost, over time it becomes an uneven mess.

Old 10-03-20, 11:18 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks you guys! haha I know odd, right, but I'm like, it took a really long time to figure out I needed this stuff, and a long time to put in(rocky land with a layer of fill--never ever again will I buy a house without researching the build--they're building homes on an inch of topsoil that's just dumped over rock--planting was a nightmare!)
I'm glad to know I can just leave it as is. I plan to order some replacement spikes over the winter so if I need to adjust the curves I can--the hardware stores all ran out of the plastic stakes(thanks Covid) so I figure if they become available again, I'll get a few for the spring.
Thanks so much for the assist!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: