Buffalo Grass Lawn

Old 10-14-20, 02:00 PM
S
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Buffalo Grass Lawn

What has happened to the Buffalo Grass craze that was highly recommended about 20 years ago. I don't see anything about it recently. This area of native grass is in full bloom.

Old 10-14-20, 03:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
I do not consider it a good home turf grass. I have heard of some more lawn friendly hybrids/varieties but I have no experience with them. Buffalo grass is great if you raise bison and cut and bail it for feed. Otherwise most people would consider it a weed. It turns brown in fall and during summer drought, doesn't tolerate shade, it can be invasive to landscaping (think crabgrass with a bad attitude), because of the plant sexes it doesn't form a nice uniform lawn look that most are accustomed to... and if that's not enough go roll around on it and see how you feel (literally) about it.

On the plus side it is an attractive pasture crop. I would consider it if you have an area you only want to mow once or twice a year and let it go for the meadow look. It is very hardy and needs minimal care once you get it established (but then so do many other bonafide turf grasses as long as you don't want a manicured golf course look). It's also good if you don't want kids playing on your lawn.

Old 10-14-20, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 855 Votes on 783 Posts
The majority of people probably figured out that buffalo grass isn't their idea of a nice lawn turf.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: