Garden Soil Retaining Material Ideas

Old 01-07-21, 09:29 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garden Soil Retaining Material Ideas

I am going to extend the 6 cedar fence around my yard to include a new 8 x 16 (128 sq. Ft.) section to create a small vegetable garden. This part of the yard is currently 16-18 lower than my existing yard. I will need to build something to retain the garden soil in this area. The only thing I have come up with is railroad ties.

First question: Is there something that would be a better solution for this purpose?

Second question: Will the chemicals in the railroad ties adversely effect gardening?

Thanks for your input on this issue. It is greatly appreciated!
Ken

Old 01-08-21, 12:11 AM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
Might want to Google using ties for a garden, they contain lots of chemicals to combat rot, not such a good thing to use around a garden!

Old 01-08-21, 06:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Lust look online there are hundreds of sites talking about how to make raised bed gardens, what material to use. I would avoid using railroad ties. Most were creosote treated along with other stuff and most these days don't want that touching the soil that grows their food. Some chemicals in the wood may leach into the soil. The same goes for pressure treated lumber.

I framed my raised bed garden with pressure treated lumber but all the beds are lined with 1/4" thick HDPE so the soil never touches the wood. Many people use steel, galvanized steel, plastic, masonry like bricks or concrete blocks, rot resistant woods like redwood or cedar are also an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: