Irrigation Pump with Relay Switch

Old 04-15-21, 07:20 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Irrigation Pump with Relay Switch

No good deed goes unpunished... Earlier this year, a senior couple moved in nearby. He had no experience with a lawn irrigation system, so I helped him get his pump system up and running. I mentioned in passing he might want to install a pressure gauge on the pump, in the event he ever needs to troubleshoot his system. Silly me told him it was "easy to do". He now wants to do that.

With my system, it is simple. My pump has an attached pressure switch, with the pump wired directly to a junction box. I just kill the circuit breaker to the pump, then run a zone to depressurize the pump.

With his system, however, I'm uncertain how to depressurize the pump. It includes a relay switch between the junction box and the pump. In the junction box, there's a metal plate installed that prevents me from killing the circuit breaker. I know the last owner had it professionally installed, so I assume all of that's legit. Regardless, an "easy" job doesn't feel that way any longer.

Any suggestions on how I go about getting pressure off his pump, so that I can replace one of the pump plugs with a pressure gauge? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 04-15-21, 07:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 892 Votes on 822 Posts
Turn off the circuit in the house.

Old 04-15-21, 11:05 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. His main panel is labeled, and nothing is marked that appears to match. The pump is wired to an exterior panel box on the opposite side of the house from his interior panel box. Is it possible, the outside panel box bypasses the main panel box, or is that not permitted by code? Sorry if that's a dumb question. My electrical knowledge is very limited.

Old 04-15-21, 02:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 892 Votes on 822 Posts
Turn off the main breaker. All the clocks will have to be reset but it will save a lot of walking back and forth figuring out what breaker the pump is on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: