material in unscreened fill concerns

Old 04-21-21, 11:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry material in unscreened fill concerns

I have a couple of severe low spots in my yard so I ordered unscreened fill. So I have two concerns.
I measured the area to give me the yards needed. -- 12 yards. The fill came and contained large chunks of concrete , wiring, a chalk line rope in the concrete, I realize that it was unscreened, but isnt there some type of standard where items like that shouldn't be in the mix? secondly it in a dump truck that I know only carries 8 to 10 yards, driver just shrugged and said he didnt know. Do i call the owner or report them?
thanks

Old 04-21-21, 01:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
How big were the chunks of concrete?
There are different size trucks with different payloads. If you think you got less than you paid for - call them!

Old 04-21-21, 01:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
I think you ordered the wrong material. Fill is just that, crap to fill something in. It is one of the lower grades of material often contains waste things like concrete, rocks, maybe some wood and poor quality soil. Unscreened fill is even lower quality and can contain large rocks and chunks of concrete. What you want is topsoil. This is the top layer of soil that contains organic mater and is what you need if you intend to plant grass. Unscreened topsoil can contain rocks and maybe some sticks while screened should just need to be spread out and won't require much if any rock picking.

Old 04-21-21, 02:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I needed fill because the depth of the area was about 2.5' deep, 8' x 15' wide. I wasn't filling that with loam/topsoil! I did order topsoil to finish off the last couple of inches, the area is where I use mulch, not grass. As I said my concern was with the crap in the fill. wood and rocks I get, it was the concrete, and wires that bothered me, looked like two piles of end waste after a pour. - 3' x3' x 6" pretty hefty. they are well buried now.
I knew what amount i needed to bring the area up close to level, with what i got it didn't being it to the level it should have.

Old 04-22-21, 05:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Like everything there are different grades but "fill" is one of the lowest. It's cheap but you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 04-22-21 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 11:14 AM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
but isnt there some type of standard where items like that shouldn't be in the mix?
My experience is there are generally 3 grades.

Screen top soil, most expensive but ultra clean.
Top soil, this is usually just dug up from a site or field, can have some debris.
Fill, the crap that comes out of a construction site, with everything included.

Prices are appropriately based!

My favorite now is "economy" grade mulch. Local landscape sells it for $11 a yard but it's actually pretty good. With all the beds we have and 20 yards every year it beats the $30 good stuff. It all decomposes eventually!

Old 04-22-21, 12:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
I got some economy mulch a few years ago. A lot of pallet wood and some nails and trash but it was a decent enough base and looked just fine with a thin layer of good mulch on top.

Marq1 voted this post useful.
Old 04-22-21, 01:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
I usually go to the landfill in a nearby town. They sell mulch for about $25 a ton. It's decent mulch although I have found a piece of cut up water hose in it before.

Old 04-23-21, 10:45 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm a geotech engineer. I don't know if this is the legal definition, but when I speak of "fill" it's any soil that isn't native and undisturbed. Once you remove natural soils, it technically becomes "fill" soil from a geotech standpoint. Imported fill can be better than natural soils but it's still fill and almost always will be less consistent than natural soil.

So "fill" isn't always bad. You just have to specify the kind of fill you want. Usually imported "fill" is implied to be free of debris, organic material, loam and concrete or rocks larger than 4". It doesn't sound like you got what I would consider to be imported fill. It sounds like you got someone else's grading/demo debris.

Loose fill will probably weigh about 80-100lbs/cuft whereas solid concrete slabs weight 150lbs/cuft. Figure out the volume of the truck and estimate the weight?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: