clumps of clippings on lawn

Old 05-11-21, 07:26 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clumps of clippings on lawn

I asked the person I hired to mow to bag the clippings - only because the lawn was really long. Apparently, he forgot and I came home last night to find clumps of clippings all over the lawn. What is the best way to handle this situation? Would it be helpful and spread out the big clumps by raking or blowing?

Popular Reply

05-11-21, 08:55 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
Even a small clump can kill the grass underneath especially if you let your grass go too long between cuttings. I would rake it up. Or, if you can get out there with a mower and spread it in a even layer it will be OK if it's not too thick.

Old 05-11-21, 07:34 AM
Received 537 Votes on 497 Posts
Unless the clumps are a foot deep the best advise is to just leave them till the next cutting.

Every spring when my yard growth kicks in with warming weather and fertilizer I have to cut every 4 days and even then there is some left behind, it's not enough, or on the ground long enough that it causes any problems!

peter72 voted this post useful.
Old 05-11-21, 08:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
Even a small clump can kill the grass underneath especially if you let your grass go too long between cuttings. I would rake it up. Or, if you can get out there with a mower and spread it in a even layer it will be OK if it's not too thick.

Norm201, peter72 voted this post useful.
Old 05-11-21, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 992 Votes on 903 Posts
Yes, at a minimum spreading it out with a rake is a good idea and isn't too hard to do.

Old 05-11-21, 03:39 PM
C
Received 143 Votes on 116 Posts
First try asking your lawn service to come back and bag the clippings. You paid for that. If they refuse, get another lawn service.

Leaving heavy clumps of clippings will leave yellow spots on the lawn where the grass is sun starved. The brown dead grass also looks terrible on a nice green lawn. Whenever my grass is too long and the mower leaves clumps I just suck it up and rake the clippings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: