Bermuda grass

Old 07-10-22, 10:05 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Bermuda grass

A landscaper had our lawn removed and put in a weed barrier, a lot of mulch, and drought resistant plants. She knew we had Bermuda grass weeds in the fescue lawn, and mentioned it might pop up. She is against using Roundup Well....she was right, Bermuda grass is coming through the weed barrier in several places.

I understand the problems with Roundup....(it is a small yard in the middle of a suburb). If I use Roundup do I spray the grass as it come through the mulch, will that kill it permanently? Or do I, or can I, somehow get the Roundup to penetrate the weed barrier and get to the root system?

Old 07-10-22, 10:49 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Just get a spay bottle of Roundup, or any vegetation killer and spray as needed!

What's the issue with Roundup, your just doing spot spraying!

Old 07-10-22, 03:03 PM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I have no problems using Roundup. I was concerned I'd get slammed with, "Roundup should be banned, it is toxic to fish, birds, soil organisms, etc."

Should just spraying the grass blades that poke through the mulch be enough to kill it, or do I need to get more into the soil and roots?

Old 07-10-22, 11:19 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Any material used improperly can be bad to yourself or the environment just follow the instructions.

Just give them a spray, worst you might have to pull out the dead sprouts and come back for second round in a couple weeks.

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 07-11-22, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
RoundUp is only absorbed through the green growing parts of the plant. Anything that hits pavement or the ground is useless so do not spray the soil. If there is a large root system a few new leaves may not be able to soak in enough poison to kill all the roots so you may have to repeat the process every couple weeks until the grass is dead.

izzie voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: