Topsoil over weeds

Old 08-10-22, 12:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Topsoil over weeds

I need to put topsoil down and seed over my existing yard near where I installed a pool. A lot of crabgrass and weeds grew in the area they excavated. Do I need to spray them with herbicide first or will the topsoil kill them? I'd hate to have those weeds takeover the area I want to grow grass.

Thanks

Old 08-10-22, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 242 Posts
The weeds would grow thru the topsoil. You can put some landscape fabric down first.

Old 08-10-22, 02:02 PM
H
Received 250 Votes on 216 Posts
Get an oven mitt and an old-fashioned steel watering can.
Boil some water, use oven mitts to take it outside, pour boiling water into the metal watering can
and kill the weeds & weed seeds.

Old 08-10-22, 02:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
If you go the herbicide route any product containing glyphosate (the ingredient in most RoundUp products) will kill most of the weeds. I like to spray then wait a week or so depending on season/weather to insure all the weeds are killed. You may need a second application or if you have weeds resistant to glyphosate you might need something containing 2.4-D. There are also name brand blends that contain both. Then after the weeds are dead put your topsoil on top.

Old 08-10-22, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Agree with Pilot Dane. Additionally, I would HIGHLY recommend you purchase a bag of Scott's "Turf Builder -built for seeding" to spread over your topsoil. (Lowes or Home Depot / Amazon) It contains a weed preemergent, but will still allow the grass to sprout. Since discovering this, I won't seed any other way.

Just be sure you don't exceed the amount per sq ft that the label advises.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: