Looking for a ring border for plants

Old 09-24-22, 04:47 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a ring border for plants

I'm rebuilding/extending a rock garden. Inside it I have four stonecrop (to be expanded to six) at even spaces.

The stonecrop (sedum) is surrounded by walnut to fist-sized stones, with bare earth in a circle around the plants (see below). I'd like to demarcate things better--the stones keep creeping closer to the plants, plus I'd like the openings to be uniform, about 12-14".

Problem is, I can't find a ring that size--in addition to the 12-14" D I'm thinking up to 4" wide so it can be partly buried and also stick up slightly above the rocks. I have some edging like the stuff at bottom, but trying to make it into a circle creates more of a teardrop, and it won't sit flat (maybe getting a lot more stakes would help). Plus it isn't as high as I'd like.

I thought about whiskey barrel rings, but the ones I've seen are too large a diameter while also being only 1.5-2" wide. Plus, I live along the coast, and corrosion resistant is a must (I have stonecrop there because it's very salt tolerant).

I was debating going to a closeout store and getting a large stainless pot or two of the right side and cutting it into 4" wide rings. I even thought about trying to pour concrete into the desired size/shape, but making the mold would be a headache. Worst-case scenario is to give up on rings and just make squares out of 5/4"x4 pressure treated wood.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-25-22, 05:34 AM
Received 997 Likes on 906 Posts
Old 09-25-22, 06:50 AM
V
Unfortunately, that's not corrosion-resistant.

By way of example, at one end of the rock garden I built a "wishing well." Some years ago the local township put in a dry well (in my side yard) as part of a wider drainage project. It was a big, ugly grate, so I built the well to cover it. For reasons too tangential to get into, I needed to add extra support to one of the vertical 4x4 posts for the roof, so I used copper pipe strapping to clamp it to the stone base. Turned out, the strapping was just copper-clad galvanized steel. It rusted by summer's end, corroded within a year, and was entirely gone in less than two years. Salt corrosion is a very serious consideration here--that's why I was considering the stainless steel stock pot.

Old 09-25-22, 08:05 AM
Received 997 Likes on 906 Posts
Find a local metal supplier and have them shear some strips of galvanized or stainless steel!

Old 09-25-22, 09:08 AM
A
Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
would probably do concrete with some forms think a 5 gallon bucket would likely work for the inside should be around 12 inches just need to find or make an outside form might look at larger containers that could be used trash cans, round tubs with rope handles are cheap and may work, cut them to the height you want and apply some form of oil to keep the concrete from sticking.

Old 09-25-22, 05:00 PM
V
I was thinking about using the forms, but hadn't considered the orange bucket. I checked, and it's a bit over 10" D. I double-checked by holding it over the plants to be ringed, and 12" is definitely a minimum--might go bigger.

I was thinking about round concrete forms in 12" and 14"

Old 09-28-22, 07:28 PM
Y
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Buy some plastic planter pots........at the diameter you are seeking ....and cut them to the depth you are seeking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: