Brush removal

Old 02-03-23, 01:05 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Brush removal

Hi All, Not sure if this is the best spot for this so bear with me and if it's not maybe someone can refer me to the correct area. We need to remove several hundred sq. feet of brush from an area in our back yard. Not sure how to describe it but it contains lots of brush with your typical hard stems in the range of 1/4 inch to maybe an inch or so. Getting the brush removed down to the ground isn't the issue. What we also want to do is keep the stuff from growing back. I'm assuming that there are certain eradicating sprays (etc.) that will work, but what is the best thing to use so as not to piss off Mother nature (or the neighbors) too much? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-03-23, 01:59 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I had an area in the back yard that was a mini grand canyon down to a creek. Cleaned out several hundred saplings/brush but that area was not mowed and after 8 years this winter I'm doing it again.

Come spring, I'm going to "paint" all those saplings I cut with ground cleaner.

May not stop but hopefully slow the re-growth.

Old 02-04-23, 07:18 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yea....sounds like me. I'm hoping there is some kind of ground cleaning "Paint" that will get rid of the problem for good. Don't really want to start planting more attractive things until i'm sure the old stuff ain't coming back, at least most of it. Hopefully someone can still chime in here with some ideas that work. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-23, 07:49 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If the area is not mowed then all the wild stuff will grow back, only other option is to spray everything with ground killer! I'm not wanting to kill the small stuff, just keep all the trees/saplings from growing back!

Old 02-04-23, 07:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Attack it in the late spring when it is growing vigorously. Spray with brush herbicide. Then inspect a couple weeks later and apply the herbicide again to kill anything that survived the first round. The key is to kill it BEFORE you try to remove it. Once it's all dead then mechanically remove whatever is above ground.

With the plant still there it is easy to spray and it's easy to see when it's dead. You can apply the herbicide concentrate syrup after cutting but it must be done immediately after cutting. And, you have to manually paint every single stem you cut, so it can be very tedious.

Old 02-04-23, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I have some thorny bushes that I kill by cutting them off close to the ground then dribble stump killer on the stem/stump. They do not come back and it only selectively kills those bushes.

Old 02-04-23, 11:28 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
20 x 30 is 600 sq.ft. Is this about right ? Why not have it tilled down 6 inches or more. clear it out and wait and see what pops up. A combo of brush killer and a mowing occasionally should finish it off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: