How much remesh is needed for concrete

Old 02-20-23, 02:30 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much remesh is needed for concrete

I would like to make some concrete garden edging and a concrete birdbath. I'm trying to search for how much remesh and what size is needed to properly reinforce the concrete. I've searched but am not finding anything useful. Is there a rule of thumb or some resource that I can access to help with this?

Old 02-20-23, 03:57 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. Since it's only a garden path i don't think a re-bar or screen mesh would be necessary. As long as a proper base or footer is used just the pouring concrete should suffice.

Last edited by Norm201; 02-20-23 at 05:25 PM.
LandsOnFeet voted this post useful.
Old 02-20-23, 05:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Most precast concrete garden items have no reinforcing steel so you probably won't need it. Steel could increase "strength" but it needs to be put where it's needed. Also keep in mind that any steel needs to be buried deep enough that rusting doesn't burst the overlying concrete so you tend to need thicker concrete when embedding steel.

There are options other than steel. You can use fiber reinforced concrete or you can add fibers to normal concrete to improve its crack resistance. You can also use higher strength concrete which can also help with water resistance in your fountain.

LandsOnFeet voted this post useful.
Old 02-26-23, 08:06 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Norm201 and Pilot Dane. It sounds like simple fiber reinforced concrete will be the way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: