Commercial grade weed and grass killer

Old 05-05-23, 06:29 AM
Z
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Commercial grade weed and grass killer

I have a gravel driveway that has a weed problem. I've been spraying glyphosate in a high concentration, but I'd like to know if there's a stronger, longer lasting grass and weed killer, possibly something only available to professionals as I wouldn't mind hiring them. My driveway is approximately 30'x80'.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 05-05-23, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
I don't know about commercial products, but when I had driveways to keep clear I had good success with the season long products like Ortho Groundclear (yearlong) or Roundup 365. One good general application followed by spot application as needed.

If you don't have a battery powered backpack sprayer, that would be a good investment. You can typically get better, more professional results with one.

And of course for long driveways and big yards, nothing beats a tow behind trailer sprayer rig.

zich6 voted this post useful.
Old 05-05-23, 08:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
You are thinking about it wrong. Glyphosate doesn't work longer if you make it stronger. It is a single use, non-residual product. Mix it according to the label. In most cases you don't even need the max rate.

If you want long lasting protection then you need to use a herbicide that offers a weed barrier or pre-emergent. There are many of them and most have their pro's and con's. One biggie with many products like that is they can wash so you have to be careful when and where you apply them because a heavy rain can wash it off the driveway leaving some interesting dead patches in your lawn.

Products containing Imazapyr, isopropylamine salt (RM43 Total Vegetation Control, Hi-Yield Killzall, Bonide Ground Force and many others) can have long lasting weed protection. Make sure you read the label and understand how these products work especially if you have trees and shrubs in the area you don't want to kill.

stickshift voted this post useful.
Old 05-05-23, 08:08 PM
Z
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I just bought 2.5 gallons of RM-43.

Thanks again all. This forum is great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: