Hunter Rain Clik

Old 06-16-23, 10:50 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hunter Rain Clik

Hi All, is the Hunter Rain Clik sensor any better than the previous sensors ,which were basically worthless, also looking for suggestions for tracing under ground irrigation pipes.
Thanks
Geo🇺🇸

Old 06-16-23, 02:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
What are the previous sensors?

I use mostly Rainbird, but 5+ years seems to be when I start questioning my rain sensor. When they work they work well but eventually I notice that it doesn't stop irrigation after a rain like it should. Obviously the battery is the first thing to check. But, after several years the expansion disks inside the sensor seem to get clogged by dirt and mildew and don't absorb water and swell like they did when new. But this is a different technology than fast response sensors.

As for locating underground pipes I use an excavator. It finds them quite well. It's also good for finding phone lines, power lines and sewer lines. The nice thing is it quickly rips them out of the ground so you can get a good look at them and see what you had.

Irrigation lines are difficult to locate. There are no codes and often they are installed by people of varying experience so you never know what you'll get. Generally they are laid along the shortest and easiest path. So, start by connecting the dots (valves, emitters...). The water lines will be somewhere in between. After a good rain when the ground is nice a soft down deep a shovel works well. Carefully push straight down with the shovel feeling to hit something. Moving around the area you can map out where there is "something" and where there is nothing.

Old 06-18-23, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,047 Upvotes on 3,631 Posts
The nice thing is it quickly rips them out of the ground so you can get a good look at them and see what you had.
Ah... yes. The divide and destroy method.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: