Sandbags to Hold Down an Umbrella Base

Old 07-10-23, 02:13 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sandbags to Hold Down an Umbrella Base

I need sandbags to hold down a large umbrella base. The umbrella manufacturer says to weigh the base down with at least 165 pounds of sand. I live on the western slope of Colorado where temps routinely get into the 90s and 100s during the summer, and 80s during the fall. I do get wind gusts of up to 50 mph a few times each year, but I'm able to let the umbrella down when it gets windy.
I don't want the cheap plastic bags, I want something that will last thru 3-4 months of hot weather. My umbrella base is 2 ft x 2 ft. What are your suggestions as to how many bags I will need and what brand or type?

Old 07-10-23, 03:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
So what's wrong with buying "sand bags". Yes, there are bags specifically for sand. They can last for many months or years and are used by emergency crews all over the planet. You can also sew your own bags out of whatever material you want. That would allow you to get something nicer looking.

Also, look at your umbrella base. Must it have sandbags? Or, can you fill the base for ballast? Are you able to use other things, denser than sand? Long ago I had a cheap umbrella base that you could fill with sand. I filled mine with lead shot which more than doubled the mass without ugly sandbags piled on top. Even aluminum is heavier than concrete so sometimes simply changing the material can increase the weight.

Old 07-10-23, 05:25 PM
P
I kinda had hoped that sandbags would last more than one summer, but... Here's a photo of my umbrella base:
I think the War Dept. wants to put a sandbag across each leg of the "X". Actually, I don't know what she actually wants.

Old 07-10-23, 10:11 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
What is under the base......wood, concrete or ......? And can it be thru-bolted down ?

Old 07-11-23, 12:27 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Sandbags-Phot...30985813&psc=1

We have a heavy base for our umbrella, steel plate with wheels and a center post but it's only about 50# and thankfully it hasn't ever blown over, but it's never been left out in a storm. 165# is insane!

Old 07-11-23, 05:05 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
If the base is going to be used in only one spot you might consider cementing it in place.

Old 07-11-23, 07:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,224 Upvotes on 1,985 Posts
I would consider forming out your base and fill it with concrete. So, you'd seal up all the openings in the base. You can set it on a scrap of plywood to close off the bottom. Then use scraps of wood along the outside to block the side holes. Then you could fill it with concrete.

To make it easier to remove the wood you can cover it with sheet plastic that will peal away more cleanly. Or, you can spray or paint the wood with oil or diesel fuel right before you pour the concrete. The oil will help prevent the concrete from sticking to the wood.

Old 07-12-23, 08:50 AM
P
I thought I posted a reply after the preceding comment including another photo, but I guess I was wrong, or it got lost, or rejected, or sumthin'... Oh well

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: