Weed n Feed for Summer

Old 07-25-23, 05:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weed n Feed for Summer

Haven't lived in a house in over with a lawn in over a decade , and I had a brown thumb anyway . Decent lawn where I'm renting , some weeds and I'd like to keep in decent shape , conflicting info on what is best to put down now. I live in Fairfield county ,Connecticut .
The weeds :

Old 07-25-23, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Weed and feed probably isn't the answer if you want to kill mature weeds. Plus you don't usually want to fertilize during the hottest part of summer, unless it's rainy where you live this time of year. I'd suggest you just do a spot application with a lawn weed trigger sprayer. Wait until Sept 1 before you do a fall weed and feed.

To keep lawns looking their best you need to start in the spring. If crabgrass is a problem, you will likely need 2 applications to control it... May 1 and June 15, roughly... or 15 days later if your last frost is May 15 or later.

I also like to put down Scotts Turf Builder "Built for Seeding" when i overseed in the fall. It's great at stopping weeds from germinating in newly planted grass and it stops fall and winter weeds from germinating in the lawn, which really helps come spring.

Old 07-26-23, 05:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
I agree with XSleeper. Summer is not a good time for herbicides or fertilizer. You really don't want to do anything during the hottest and driest parts of summer when the lawn is stressed.

Old 07-26-23, 07:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Cool season grasses are largely dormant in the peak of summer so the only thing utilizing the fertilizer would be weeds. Late August to early September when you notice the lawn green up and start growing again would be the time.

Old 08-01-23, 12:51 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you , I do that in September. I only moved in recently , after the spring .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: