Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Changed Sprinkler Spray Nozzle and Zone Now Doesn't Work

Old 05-13-24, 05:15 PM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

Hi All,

I have a sprinkler zone that has 5 spray nozzles. Three nozzles seem to be fixed half-circle ("HC") design, one is a fixed quarter-circle, and the other is a variable. The fixed quarter circle is the Rainbird 10Q, and the variable one is a Rainbird Hevan12 nozzle.

The order of the sprinklers is: 10Q - HC - Hevan12 - HC - HC

I changed out the 10Q today for another Hevan12. Unfortunately, when I tested the sprinklers out, they just burbled and bubbled but didn't pop up and spray. The 10Q and its neighboring HC went up maybe 10% but just burbled and bubbled. If I picked one of them up all the way and held it for maybe 30 seconds, then it seemed like the system pressurized and everything worked. I would then shut the zone and try it again. Same thing would happen, just burbled and bubbled until I picked one of them up. So, I switched back to the original 10Q and the same burbling/bubbling problem is happening now. I even tried a second new Hevan12, and I've tried three different filters (the old one and then the new ones that came with the two new Hevan12 nozzles).

Does anyone have any ideas? Before today, the zone worked well. I don't think there can be a leak or a break because it does "pressurize" (if that's the right word) if I hold up a sprinkler head for ~30 seconds.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated. I thought this would be a $2 project to replace the nozzle, and I'd really rather not have to get a professional's help!

Thank you!

Old 05-14-24, 05:25 AM
B
Received 307 Upvotes on 272 Posts
If other zones work fine, change the zone valve.

Old 05-14-24, 05:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,227 Upvotes on 1,987 Posts
Try changing back to the original emitter. If the zone works it suggests that you don't have enough water volume. When you change. You can also check this by capping off a sprinkler. If the others sprinklers in the zone rise and work properly then you don't have enough water low to raise all the sprinklers.

If you look at your sprinklers you may notice that they leak a lot of water until they get into the full elevated position. So, it takes more water to raise the emitters than it does once they are up and spraying. Changing from a 1/4 circle that doesn't flow much water to a adjustable that can do 360 and flow more water could be enough to push your zone over the edge of working/not working.

Old 05-14-24, 05:58 AM
O
Hi Dane and Bob,

Thank you for the help.

Dane - I'm assuming that by "emitter", you mean the piece I'm calling the "nozzle" (a ~$2.00 item that just screws in to the top of the sprinkler base). If we are referring to the same piece, then I did replace it with the original again. The Rainbird 10Q is what has been there since before yesterday (when I started messing around). I then tried two different Hevan12 nozzles and when those didn't work, I replaced them with the original Rainbird 10Q. The 10Q is what is there now; when I tried it again this morning, there is still the same problem. So - I am now having the problem regardless of whether I am using either of the new Hevan12 nozzles or the old 10Q nozzle. I don't understand how I can not have sufficient water volume now, because right now the system is set up exactly the way it was before yesterday (when it was working fine).

Also, when I hold the sprinkler up until it "pressurizes", it then works fine; so overall, there seems to be enough water pressure.

Any other help, please?

Thank you!

Old 05-14-24, 07:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Are you on a well or city water?

It sounds like you don't have enough flow volume. It will help if you can replace some of the pop-up risers with fixed ones.

Old 05-14-24, 07:42 AM
O
We are on city/municipal water. I can't imagine its a volume thing, as I have other zones that work perfectly fine. One of the zones has 5 rotary heads that each throw water something like 20 feet (these nozzles only spray water like 10 feet).

If its a water volume issue, any idea why they would work when I hold one of them up for a a few seconds?

Also, I need to have the ones that pop in and out of the ground, as its in a lawn area and it would be a tripping hazard and so easily broken (and unsightly) to have a fixed sprinkler there.

Old 05-14-24, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
Put the original sprinkler head back on and see if the problem persists. If it does, it kind of sounds like you have an underground leak. And since it was fine before, its probably something you did... hit the pipe with a shovel or you might have broken the riser. The riser is the piece you cut to the right height. It goes between the emitter (or sprinkler head) and the fitting on your underground supply pipe.

Old 05-14-24, 11:22 AM
O
Hi Sleeper,

Thanks for the message.

I actually did try the original sprinkler nozzle again (two or three times actually - take off, put on and try; take off again, put on and try again). Its on there right now, and its not working.

I also don't see how its something I could have done. I didn't use a shovel or dig or anything. I just used a flat head screw driver to lift up the nozzle+riser (I'm assuming the stick that pops up is the riser?), then grabbed it with my hand and pulled it up a bit more; unscrewed the old nozzle and screwed the new nozzle back on. Nothing that could be traumatic to the system, I don't think.

Plus, if there was a leak or if the riser were broken, why would it work when I pulled the sprinkler head up and hold it for a few seconds? When I do that, it does not go back down (i.e., it works correctly). Its getting to where I guess I might need to get a pro out to look, but any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Old 05-14-24, 12:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
I bet you've had this issue for a while and just never noticed.

You can't compare other zones with different emitters. Each type flows a different amount of water. A rotator may spray water further but it can flow less water (less GPM) than a simple sprayer. The distance water sprays has nothing to do with how much water is flowing out of a sprinkler. If you hold your finger over a garden hose it will spray further but your finger over the hose is actually reducing the water flow volume.

Look up the specs for the nozzles you are using. Here is one chart that covers many of Rain Bird's emitters the others can be found on their website. Pay attention to the flow rates.

Old 05-14-24, 12:24 PM
O
Hi Dane,

Thank you for the chart, I'll take a look at it later tonight. And point taken about flow rates and shooting distance, etc. However, we have another zone with 5 spray nozzles, and that zone is working fine; admittedly, I'm not sure what kinds of nozzles are on those 5 though.

Also, I do think this is a new issue. We had some new plantings done maybe a week ago, several feet away from the sprinklers. The 10Q sprinkler is near it and I was hoping to adjust it to do a half-circle to water the new plantings (not realizing that it was a fixed quarter-circle sprinkler). So, I know I definitely turned it on a few times last week (to show myself, to show the sprinkler guy, and to show the landscaper), and it worked fine.

(And I don't think anything with the plantings could have damaged the sprinkler; the plantings replaced a shed we just removed that had been in place for 15+ years, and the sprinklers are newer than that. So the sprinkler piping could not have been in the area where the plantings are.)

Thanks again.

Old 05-14-24, 05:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
The water pressure from the city may have changed. The pressure also changes during the day depending on demand and how full the water tower is.

Old 05-16-24, 08:09 AM
O
Hi Dane,

I guess its possible for the water pressure to have changed, except:
1. it seems VERY coincidental that it would work up until I changed the nozzle; and
2. my other zone that also has exactly 5 nozzle heads has no problem whatsoever.

So - thanks to everyone for your time, thoughts, and comments; I'm thinking its probably a good idea to contact a professional at this point. (Of course, please let me know if you have any other thoughts! )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: