Tax Ques, claim dependent


Old 01-28-05, 06:18 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 206
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tax Ques, claim dependent

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I would like to know if it is possible to claim my fiance as a dependent. We are getting married in Aug.

I currently support us both. I have a well paying FT job, along with a small consulting business and real estate investments.

She is a FT college student and is finishing this year. She doesn't work. She is starting law school in the fall. So I will be supporting her then too, but we will be married so I know it won't be a problem.

She has a 1099 from some work she did in Jan 04 for about 2k, and she has tuition expenses of like $8000-9000. We took out student loans for about 1/2 of that.

So can I claim her? Will I be asking for trouble if I do? I just think it isn't fair that I don't get some sort of tax break for her.


Last edited by rmelo99; 02-23-05 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-05, 06:47 AM
Family Guy's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 1,070
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you weren't married at the end of 2004 you can't. When you're married, if she isn't working, you can claim head of household.

Talk to a tax advisor, which I'm not, but you can't claim another adult as a dependant unless it's a relative you are caring for, IIRC. Again, talk to and advisor.
Old 02-23-05, 12:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
question about claiming dependents

my gf filed her taxes as she 'cannot be anyones dependent' for 2004 tax year. she turned 18 on feb 2004. Is she able to do that?

The reason I ask....her mother tried to claim her as a dependent, but was rejected, because my gf filed her taxes first. now her mom says she isn't allowed to do so, since she was already 18, and that she would have to do her entire taxes again. please advise.
Old 02-23-05, 01:09 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 206
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your Gf did her own taxes and took a deduction for herself then her mom can't claim her as a dependent. Your GF can do her own taxes and still allow her mom to claim her as long as her taxes are done to indicate she is being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

They can always both redo their taxes.
Old 02-24-05, 02:24 PM
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Avon, CT
Posts: 346
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a side note to this - if you are married you can only file as married filing joint or married filing separate. No other options apply.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: