Tax Ques, claim dependent

Old 01-28-05, 06:18 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tax Ques, claim dependent

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I would like to know if it is possible to claim my fiance as a dependent. We are getting married in Aug.

I currently support us both. I have a well paying FT job, along with a small consulting business and real estate investments.

She is a FT college student and is finishing this year. She doesn't work. She is starting law school in the fall. So I will be supporting her then too, but we will be married so I know it won't be a problem.

She has a 1099 from some work she did in Jan 04 for about 2k, and she has tuition expenses of like $8000-9000. We took out student loans for about 1/2 of that.

So can I claim her? Will I be asking for trouble if I do? I just think it isn't fair that I don't get some sort of tax break for her.

TIA

Last edited by rmelo99; 02-23-05 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-05, 06:47 AM
If you weren't married at the end of 2004 you can't. When you're married, if she isn't working, you can claim head of household.

Talk to a tax advisor, which I'm not, but you can't claim another adult as a dependant unless it's a relative you are caring for, IIRC. Again, talk to and advisor.

Old 02-23-05, 12:29 PM
I
injoii
Visiting Guest
question about claiming dependents

my gf filed her taxes as she 'cannot be anyones dependent' for 2004 tax year. she turned 18 on feb 2004. Is she able to do that?

The reason I ask....her mother tried to claim her as a dependent, but was rejected, because my gf filed her taxes first. now her mom says she isn't allowed to do so, since she was already 18, and that she would have to do her entire taxes again. please advise.

Old 02-23-05, 01:09 PM
R
If your Gf did her own taxes and took a deduction for herself then her mom can't claim her as a dependent. Your GF can do her own taxes and still allow her mom to claim her as long as her taxes are done to indicate she is being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

They can always both redo their taxes.

Old 02-24-05, 02:24 PM
H
Just a side note to this - if you are married you can only file as married filing joint or married filing separate. No other options apply.