Permit to sell Christmas trees?

Old 11-13-06, 08:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Permit to sell Christmas trees?

I have looked on my countys website and city web site and have not found any information on this. maybe someone here can help me. I live in Texas (collin county) A small country town 35 miles nort of Dallas. I have 80 acres in the country and the place is covered in Cedar (Christmas trees) I thought about running an add offering to sell christmas trees and you would hunt your own tree and cut it down yourself and pay when you leave depending on size of tree or mabe just sell all trees at same price no matter what the size. Do I need a permit to do this?

Thanks

Jim123

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 10:31 PM
T
Don't go into business without a business license. Stop by and chat with your local city clerk or county clerk if that is the case. They should be able to tell you what the requirements are in your area.

Go to http://www.myownbusiness.org/business_permits_license/index.html#2

Old 11-14-06, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
I agree that a business license would be the place to start.
Another thing you will need is insurance coverage against someone getting hurt on your property.
It would be a pretty scarey thought having a novice waving around a chain saw on one's property.

I think that if you cut and displayed them yourself you would limit your liability and increase your profit margin.
My wife's uncle did this for many many years and realized a tidy profit doing it.

Old 11-14-06, 05:00 PM
B
Definitely check with your insurance agent.
As for the permit - do more research. Don't rely on the web for current info. You may have to visit the county/city offices to be sure. You may not need one, but so many places do require one its best to be sure.

Old 12-17-06, 11:49 AM
I remember talking to coworker whom helped his father in law with a christmas tree farm and he was talking about in the off season how he had to trim them so that they would stay the proper size