taxes

Old 11-27-06, 11:09 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
taxes

Im a resident of Canada(Ontario) and havent filed tax returns for several years. When I call my payroll dept to get the past T4's re-issued, how far back do I go? Do I go back to the last filing year regardless of haw far back or is here a statute of limitations? If I have to go all the way back, how do I find out when the last time was? Should I call the Canada Revenue Agency or would this be walking into a trap. I'm so tired of the guilt and denial. Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Michaelx;

No time like the present to get started. I think the Canadian system works similar to here in the U.S. If it does than your T4 (our W2 shows both the amount earned and the amount withheld for taxes. If that's the case you may not owe "much" in taxes if your withholding was pretty close to what it should be.

In the US if the withholding is "close" and you have access to funds to pay the shortage I would probably start with Canada Revenue. The reason for that is that you probably don't owe much in back taxes, plus penalties and interest, plus a small fine for not filing your return.

If, the withholding isn't close, or you don't have access to funds to make up the shortage, then I would recommend getting with a chartered accountant (CPA in the states) and have him/her start the ball rolling.

Good luck.

Frank

Old 12-06-06, 06:32 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i
you need to go back 5 years in Canada
Been there done that. I'm a Canadian citizen
you should have file tax return every year even if you had no income