Construction Requiring a Permit

Old 03-20-13, 07:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Construction Requiring a Permit

I am curious as to how other states view work that requires a permit, but non is taken out. If the homeowner is urged to take out a permit but is adamant not to, should we just walk away from work? The state of Calif is tough on the contractor, as are some local jurisdictions. San Mateo County Solar Org asked some of the jurisdictions how they would handle the matter, it appears to have blown up.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-13, 07:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What are you asking? Are you a contractor and the homeowner for whom you are working is not taking out a permit?

Old 03-20-13, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If a permit is required and the homeowner says he doesn't want to....I don't think any reputable contractor would touch the job. And if I as the homeowner knew a permit was required, but the contractor would do the work without one, I'd wonder what other shortcuts he would take.

It's a different matter if a permit is required and you don't get one...but you are doing the work yourself. Then it all falls on your head.

Old 03-20-13, 08:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 392 Posts
I assume if the homeowner or someone else does work without a permit an insurance company may use it as cause to not pay a claim. Especially if the work is not up to code.

Old 03-20-13, 08:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Dane is definitely right. It would seem to me a contractor might be more open to a liability claim if they do work without a permit when one is required.

Old 03-21-13, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The insurance angle is a good one. Another is resale. I have heard of unpermitted remodels that have had to be torn out and redone prior to resale as the AHJ was not aware of any renovations and did not approve, nor inspect the changes. That can be costly

I would not touch a job that required a permit and either the GC or owner did not pull one.