Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Entrepreneurial and Business Forums > Licenses, Taxes, Fee's & Registrations
Reload this Page >

Self employment in skilled trade: do I need a license? And others

Old 10-28-19, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Iím a maintenance supervisor for a company. The line of work is maintenance of a marina so it is similar in ways to construction/handyman work.

The company I work for doesnít specialize in this kind of work. I got hired with them as the client (the facility I maintain) suggested that so as to provide the liability insurance, workers comp, etc.

The company I worked for prior - at the same location - was dropped and I opted to stay with the client and to do so I needed the insurance, etc - hence why Iím with the current company.

Iíve been thinking of going into business for myself and leaving the company and working for the client. Iíd basically start my own company with me as the sole employee.

I would need to get liability insurance and my question is: do I need to be licensed as a contractor to get liability insurance?

I donít have a contractorís license and Iím not sure if I need one, and if I did if it would be a GC license or a speciality as I donít think there is a speciality license for my field.

Sponsored Links