Interesting: My Neighbor Sold My Land

Old 04-03-20, 08:34 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Interesting: My Neighbor Sold My Land

This is kind of interesting: my neighbor sold my land.

A few years ago, a relative got into a legal match with another relative, and in the end they lost the lawsuit and ended up having to fork over some land for that loss. But the land was put on a deed in the owners name in one town, but the land itself was just across the line in another town.

I knew my neighbor was having a tough go of it paying his property taxes, as we all are, and had heard he was selling off some of that land. But then I get a call from the local surveyor who informed me that some of the land he sold, was actually mine.

I am not sure how to have the deed redacted.

Obviously my warrantee deed trumps the new deed because it is older, and a warrantee deed. Most likely what occurred was, somewhere over the years, with each land transaction, the orginal land rights did not get carried over to the new owners. Since most title searches only go back 100 years, and this lawsuit happened in the 1850's, it was just missed.

It is only a few acres so normally I would not get too upset over the issue, but once land is lost, there is no getting it back, and it has a cute little stream running across it. So in the end, it is worth trying to get back...or I suppose, show that I have been the legal owner all along.

Anyone have this issue before?

Here is a picture of the land in question...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-20, 09:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 440 Votes on 404 Posts
Hopefully it does not end up costing you much money getting your own land back.

Old 04-03-20, 10:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
About a dozen yrs ago a land owner next to me claimed a quarter of an acre of my land as his [wooded mountain land barely accessible] He has 90+ unimproved acres next to my 16 acres that I live on. After talking to a lawyer, I had my land resurveyed and had a certified copy of the survey sent to him by registered mail. Never heard any more from that neighboring land owner.

If you paid for title insurance when you bought your place I think they are responsible for taking care of the legal aspects.