fluorescent bulb doesn't work

Old 02-17-04, 09:17 PM
fluorescent bulb doesn't work

I have a 48" fluorescent bulb in the kitchen (one of 12) that doesn't work. Someone mentioned a ballast in this forum but I don't know what a ballast is or where to look for it., All the other lights work fine. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-04, 10:10 AM
rj01
Visiting Guest
How many lamps in one fixture (are they 2-lamp, 3-lamp or 4-lamp).

With only one bulb not working, you may have a ballast problem. Ballast is the Black Box inside the wiring portion of the fixure. You can buy replacement Ballast, however It is wise to check the price of a new similar Light fixture.

Old 03-13-04, 05:40 PM
luisduo
Visiting Guest
fluorescent bulb won't go in

I've just installed a new fluorescent bulb fixture and the bulb type are the ones that push in on one side and are suppose to pop in.

For the life of me, I cannot make it go in into both connections.
What am I doing wrong, besides losing my mind?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-04, 09:41 AM
I agree with rj on all points but, would like to add if the bulb is black or gray at 1 end the bulb is bad. Also if the fixture is 20 + yrs old I recommend replacing the entire fixture rather than just the ballast.Newer fluorescent fixtures require a good ground connection to work properly.

Old 03-14-04, 09:50 AM
Luis, from your description I assume the fixture has sockets that use a single pin on each end. If that is so then one socket {for each bulb} is springloaded.You need to place 1 end of the bulb in the spring socket and push the bulb in then lineup the other end with the other socket & slip it into the socket. Hope this helps,work safely.

Old 03-14-04, 10:39 AM
fluorescent bulb won't work

Thanks to both for replies; the six fixtures each have two bulbs--and that's a good point about the age of the fixtures; I think they are as old as the house which is 25 years old. I looked at ballasts at Home Depot and they are both expensive and confusing! Think we'll wait and tear out all the fluorescents.

Old 03-15-04, 06:49 AM
luisduo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I took the fixture back to the store and had an associate open another box. The fixture I bought had the wrong connectors on it for the bulbs I was trying to install.