where to find a lighting designer

Old 03-10-04, 07:43 AM
Question where to find a lighting designer

I have a large living/dining room area that is very poorly lit. It is in a ranch style home and has a sloped ceiling that levels off flat at about 14'. The current lighting has recessed cans around the perimeter with half about 10' high and the rest at 14'. There are currently 15 cans with 75w(?) R-40 bulbs. The cans are deep enough that the bubls are still 2-3" from the opening. The room is like long rectangle but it is not straight. The whole room bends about 30 degrees about halfway down the length (sort like a shallow "V").

I know that these are not the best bulbs for this scenario but I think that even with PAR style bulbs, I won't get enough watts or lumens to light it nicely.

How does a homeowner get ideas about improving the lighting design in their home? It is my impression that stores that sell lighting fixtures (lamps and chandeliers) are just retail sales people and don't do design. I am afraid that asking an architect would be cost prohibitive.

I think it might be easier of the room were a plain rectangle with a flat ceiling but that is not the case.

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-04, 08:03 PM
ltngbolt
Visiting Guest
There are some recessed cans with trims that can do a good job of lighting a room of that size and height of ceilings. Sounds like the cans and trims you have are either typical baffles or sloped ceiling cans is that correct? A trim such as a gimbel ring with a par halogen bulb can give you a much better spread. Do you know or can you look inside to see what brand and model cans you have?

Old 03-11-04, 07:05 AM
I will check for a brand name tonight. They are probably 40+ years old so I am not sure any original labelling still exists.

The cans are just a plain deep cylinder. They are definitely not sloped ceiling cans and there are no baffles on them.