cleaning up Mian Breaker Box

Old 03-27-04, 08:42 AM
skaul111
Visiting Guest
Question cleaning up Mian Breaker Box

The house that I am re-wiring has the old 2-wire with no ground and is cloth wraped.
They have used 15amp circuit breakers with 12 gage wire. Will I have any trouble with this or do I have to purchase new circuit breakers ? Also they have #12-gage wires going to light fixtures, do I have to try and replace them? Trying to fish a fish tape to the fixtures is going to be almost impossible to do with out putting holes in the ceilling.
Thanks agian for answering past questions you have help alot.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 11:44 AM
15-amp breakers protecting 12-gauge wire is perfectly fine. And 12-gauge wire to light fixtures is fine too (this is copper wire, right?).

If the panel is as old as the wiring, you should consider replacing the electral box too, probably before messing with the wiring. The technology today is much better and the safety with a new box will be greatly improved.

What exactly do you mean by "rewiring" if you aren't going to replace the wire?

P.S. A suggestion. Learn wall repair. It's a useful skill and you'll need it. Making holes and repairing them may require less time than trying to avoid making the holes.

Old 03-29-04, 03:05 PM
skaul111
Visiting Guest
What I ment by rewiring is to replace all old wire where I can take out old wire and replase with new,without putting holes in the wall or the cieling .
This house was build in 1950 ( just a year younger then me)and has plastered walls and ceilings and and the plaster is in great shape so if I start banging or sawing on walls I am afriad I may lossen plaster and have more trouble the I want. If some one was to beat on me I'm sure Iwould show more wair then I already do .
The Breaker has been up-graded to a 100 amp cuttler and Hammer service which may need up-grading by the time I am done, or adding another Service Panel.
All outlets will be grounded with new wire so If some one can invent a wireless grounding divce I would feel better about the lights in the cieling.
Thanks for the advise. [email protected]

Old 03-29-04, 03:07 PM
skaul111
Visiting Guest
i forgot to tell you that the wire is copper wire.

Old 03-29-04, 05:55 PM
Since most of the things in your house have plugs without a grounding pin, concentrate your efforts on where you need grounding. Start where you want an office with computer equipment. Run a new circuit and install new outlets. Leave the old circuits and old outlets alone. Then you might think about running new circuits to your refrigerator and washing machine. Then add GFCI to your bathrooms and kitchen. You can probably leave the rest alone.

Old 03-30-04, 05:10 AM
skaul111
Visiting Guest
Thanks agian for needed information , I have replaced all old wireing to outlets with new wirering I just do not want to get into the ceiling lights

Old 03-30-04, 09:51 AM
Ceiling lights are among the lesser important things in your house to be grounded.

Old 03-30-04, 10:37 AM
skaul111
Visiting Guest
I am into cleaning up the service panel now. It looks like some one threw a plate of spaghetti in the box. What a mess.