track versus spot lighting

Old 03-30-04, 11:55 AM
Neil Gray
Visiting Guest
track versus spot lighting

I'm trying to decide between spot and track lighting for the kitchen. The ceiling is off and joists are bare. I favor the track for the flexibility and I like spots for the looks. Are there other things to think about? Pros and cons? I would appreciate any ideas, comments, suggestions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-04, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My opinions only,

I doubt that you really mean spot lights, these are a poor choice for general lighting.

Track lighting draws your attention to the ceiling instead of the room itself. Cooking oils will accumulate on the track fixtures and attract dust and require constant cleaning.

I much prefer a recessed with either a Alzak or a white step baffle trim on about a 4 foot grid. Black baffles will make the ceiling look like swiss cheese. The Alzak trim will give you more light in the room but cost more than the white baffle.

Old 03-31-04, 02:42 AM
You could also you a recessed "eyeball" light that you can swivel to aim the light where you want. This way you can still have a bit of flexibility that you liked about the track lighting without having the problems already mentioned above

Old 03-31-04, 12:24 PM
Neil Gray
Visiting Guest
Thank you pcboss and Dim Bulb- exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.