flourescent lighting

Old 03-30-04, 08:53 PM
SLICK
Visiting Guest
flourescent lighting

Hey guys and gals. I just joined this forum and I think it"s awesome. I've got my first question for ya.
I'm in the process of upgrading my shop by rewiring and upgrading the lighting. As it stands I've got 4 300 watt bulbs which puts out plenty of light. I'm thinking of puting up some 4 foot flourescent shop lights and getting rid of the bulbs. The lights im looking at dont come with a ballast. They just plug in and i purchase the bulbs seperatly which will be T8 lamps. I'm thinking of putting up 4 or 5 shoplights in my 22x30 shop.
Will these put out plenty of light or are there better shoplights that come with the ballast which would provide better lighting

Old 04-02-04, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Considering light only, a 300W incandescent bulb puts out approx. 6200 lumens, and a 32W T8 lamp puts out approx 2850 lumens, you will need a 3 lamp flour fixture to replace each 300W bulb.
It is not a fair comparison, as the bare bulb distributes light differently than a flour fixture, but it's a start.

The fixture you are looking at either has a ballast inside, or you'll have to install one. A T8 lamp needs a ballast.

Old 04-02-04, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to point out that all fluorescents have some type of ballast, cord/pug or hardwired.If the shop is in an unheated garage,etc you may want to consider High Output fixtures they operate in colder temps without bulb flicker.Fixtures & bulbs cost a little more but its worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: