flourescent lighting

Old 03-30-04, 07:53 PM
SLICK
Visiting Guest
flourescent lighting

Hey guys and gals. I just joined this forum and I think it"s awesome. I've got my first question for ya.
I'm in the process of upgrading my shop by rewiring and upgrading the lighting. As it stands I've got 4 300 watt bulbs which puts out plenty of light. I'm thinking of puting up some 4 foot flourescent shop lights and getting rid of the bulbs. The lights im looking at dont come with a ballast. They just plug in and i purchase the bulbs seperatly which will be T8 lamps. I'm thinking of putting up 4 or 5 shoplights in my 22x30 shop.
Will these put out plenty of light or are there better shoplights that come with the ballast which would provide better lighting

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 06:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Considering light only, a 300W incandescent bulb puts out approx. 6200 lumens, and a 32W T8 lamp puts out approx 2850 lumens, you will need a 3 lamp flour fixture to replace each 300W bulb.
It is not a fair comparison, as the bare bulb distributes light differently than a flour fixture, but it's a start.

The fixture you are looking at either has a ballast inside, or you'll have to install one. A T8 lamp needs a ballast.

Old 04-02-04, 06:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to point out that all fluorescents have some type of ballast, cord/pug or hardwired.If the shop is in an unheated garage,etc you may want to consider High Output fixtures they operate in colder temps without bulb flicker.Fixtures & bulbs cost a little more but its worth it.