Burnt Light Bulbs

Old 04-01-04, 08:36 AM
fatfrank
Visiting Guest
Burnt Light Bulbs

I moved into a house a few months ago and the light bulbs seem to burn out quite often. The house is about 15 years old. I replace the burnt ones with 130Volt bulbs and they seem to last longer.

Does anyone know of any reason that the bulbs may blow so often? Is it some trashy electricity service, old fixtures that need to be replaced? Any ideas?
Thanks Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-04, 06:24 PM
Yes, it could be because of trashy electrical service. But it could also be trashy wiring inside your house (i.e., bad connections). Bulbs die a premature death due to voltage spikes, excessive voltage, low-quality bulbs, excessive vibration, or excessive heat. This issue has been addressed here before, at least once in the last few days, so you may be able to learn more by searching the forum.

Old 04-05-04, 11:33 AM
fatfrank
Visiting Guest
John,

Thanks for your reply. I measured the voltage in the house and it measures 122-123 volts. I think that excessive vibration may be part of the cause, because I do notice that the ceiling fan lights and garage opener lights burn out most often. The lights themself aren't subject to any higher temperatures than other houses I have lived in in the past. I'm thinking that the higher voltage, vibration, and 120V bulbs may all be part of the problem.

I did search for other threads, but couldn't really find anything. If you know of a thread that talks about this in detail, please post a link, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by fatfrank; 04-06-04 at 07:52 AM.