Track Lighting

Old 04-06-04, 08:26 AM
sckalk
Visiting Guest
Track Lighting

I have existing Track Lighting in my family room. I would like to paint the fixture so that it will match my room. So I am planning to take it down, spray paint it and then put it back up. My question is..... What am I going to have to do to unconnect the wires. Also, I plan to use a Rust-o-leam Primer and Paint. Do you think that will work? Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks

Old 04-06-04, 04:56 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not a good idea to paint light fixtures - but as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have a problem. Just be absolutely sure you don't paint the contacts inside the fixture.

Now, for the wiring. First of all, be sure to turn off both the switch and the breaker for the circuit (goes without saying.) When you take the fixture down, you'll have 2 (maybe 3, with ground) wires in the box. They <i>should</i> match-up to the wires on the fixture, but you never know what people are going to do.

Black is your hot wire, white is your neutral, and green or bare is the ground. Disconnect them one at a time and recap the wires in the box (don't worry about the fixure, no harm there.) Now you can reapply power for the circuit.

Once you've taken it down, tape off the contacts or channel if you can. If not, put a piece of cardboard down the channel or something. Try to protect it if you can.

Paint away!

Putting it back up is the exact opposite. Make sure the power is off and reconnect the wires - not much to it. Make sure the connections are good and there are no bare wires hanging out (except the ground.)

Good luck!

Old 04-07-04, 06:20 AM
sckalk
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Painting Track Lighting

Well..... We painted the fixture. I did as was suggested and taped up the connections but, when we sprayed the track, we also sprayed INSIDE the track. Now I'm thinking that we should not have done that. Is that part of the connection? If so, should I be worried about using the light? Could I just go buy new track? This fixture was originally installed in 1986. I was thinking it maybe hard to find the right track now... Any thoughts????

Old 04-07-04, 07:39 AM
S
If you want to get a new track, take a light with you - that's the only concern is whether the old lights will fit the new track. Connections are still the same.

The main concern with the contacts is that that is where the lights get their power from - they have to have a good connection.

You could try to clean it out, and expose the contacts, but don't think it would be worth the trouble. Track lighting is fairly inexpensive, and it's simply not worth the time to try to do it right.

I would say start with a new fixture.

Any thoughts on this John?

Old 03-12-08, 08:52 AM
C
I would also suggest that a new fixture is the way to go. I'm not what you would call 'technical', so I usually prefer to get something new rather than risk screwing everything up; in any case, track lighting really isn't very expensive

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-02-08 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Removed advertising link
Old 04-13-08, 08:00 PM
L
Yeah, probably shouldn't have painted the inside of the track...

Don't worry...you can just replace the track and probably salvage the fixtures. Take a look here at the three track lighting standards. This site has a good page on identifying which type of track you have just by visual inspection of the track or fixtures (there are three main standards out there now.)

You will probably end up replacing the entire thing eventually as you'll find that the finishes of the track and fixtures won't match (track gets old and yellows etc.) If you decide to replace the entire system, they have a bunch of fixtures as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: