Light Goes On & Off Intermittently...Help!

Old 04-13-04, 10:43 AM
vizslakane
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Light Goes On & Off Intermittently...Help!

I just installed an inexpensive recessed light in my garage. Evertything worked fine. But after the light has been on for a while it just goes out and then after a while (cools down?) it comes back on. There are two other lights lights on this circuit, and they work fine. They continue to stay on and work perfectly. Is this just poor construction on the part of the recessed light kit? What should I do? Please help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-04, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Newer recessed fixtures have a thermal cutout in them. When the fixture overheats the thermal opens until the fixture cools.

Is the bulb of the correct wattage? You can check this using the label to check bulb size and trim installed. Is this fixture rated for insulation contact? If it not no insulation should be installed within 3" of the fixture.

Old 04-13-04, 11:43 AM
vizslakane
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I installed a 75watt phillips mini director bulb. The light kit has a 75watt max. But, I did push some insulation back around it after my installation. I will check on that and remove if necessary. Hope this works. I'll let you know.