Help w/ Fan and light w/ swag

Old 04-23-04, 09:26 AM
jjbond
Visiting Guest
Help w/ Fan and light w/ swag

Hi there, I am totally new to home repair. I would like to install a ceiling fan (w/light) in a bedroom. There is nothing on the ceiling, and as I do not want to deal with hardwiring from scratch, I was thinking of using a swag wiring kit to run the cord across the ceiling and down the wall to the outlet that is connected to the light switch by the door. (I think this makes sense)

So the process would be to:
1) Connect the wiring swag to the fan.
2) find the center of the room, and to knock a small hole in the ceiling.
3) Insert into hole an expandable header that will secure between 2 joists.
(Question 1 - the online directions say to install the hanger bracket screwed directly into a ceiling joist - so do I knock a hole *next* to a joist, and then attact the bracket to the joist?)
(Question 2 - how do you determine where the joists are?)
(Question 3 - do I not need one of those expanding headers to wedge securely between two joists then?)
4) Attach fan to hanger bracket
5) attach swag to ceiling and plug in fan
(Question 4 - what is the alternative to having "swag" - can you use those long straight wire housings that attach to the side of walls....I have no clue what to call it..)

I'm just in the dark here (literally...), and it feels like it shouldn't be too difficult to do...
Thanks!

Old 04-23-04, 10:35 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With all due respect, I suggest that you either (1) hire this out, or (2) learn how to hard-wire it (it's not that hard). The solution you propose almost certainly violates at least a few electrical codes, has unknown safety characteristics, and is a bit goofy. Most shortcuts come back to bite you. Please do it right. It's usually not much harder to do it right than to do it goofy.

Old 04-23-04, 01:37 PM
jjbond
Visiting Guest
Well how are you supposed to hang a fan using a swag wiring kit that adheres to code? I mean, they offer this as a possible solution for ceiling fans, highlighting its versatility and ease of installation....

Old 04-24-04, 11:05 AM
J
I'm sorry. I apparently misinterpreted. I can't really offer much more help than to tell you to follow the directions that come with the swag kit.

As to your specific questions:

#1. I would say that you may not need to cut a hole in the ceiling drywall at all. Simply screw through the drywall into the joist.

#2. There are various devices to help you find a joist. You can buy a studfinder, an electronic device for about $10 to $15 that detects the joist by doing density scans on the ceiling. This device will be useful over and over again in the future. Or you can just poke a series of holes in the ceiling with a pin until you hit something solid. Find both edges of the joist and then you'll know where the center of it is.

#3. You can use a ceiling fan brace kit if you need to install it between joists. However, since the swag kit instructions say to install it directly to a joist, I would do that instead.

#4. What you are talking about is called "wiremold", a brand name. You can find out more about it at your home center or at www.wiremold.com.

I hope this helps. Sorry about my less-than-helpful original response.

Old 05-07-04, 05:56 PM
I have to agree with John. Theres something wrong with the idea of a variable speed motor with 4 or 5 blades attached to it and the only thing supporting it is a chain on a hook.Do the specifications say the fan is U.L listed,if not I wouldn't touch it.

Old 12-02-04, 12:16 PM
steen
Visiting Guest
Use swag for runnning the electricity, but fixing the fan

I have a similar situation, and hope to hear comments if this is in violation of electrical codes?.
I have exposed beams in my living room, and a vaulted ceiling. There is no room for me to recess a fan box into the ceiling.

I am intending to mount the fan directily onto the ceiling beam, and then use a swag kit to run the electricity to the fan. There used to be a diningroom light installed using a swag kit, so I figure it would be possible with a fan as well.

Please let me know if this is against code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: