basement recessed lighting questions

Old 04-28-04, 07:26 PM
DaveV
Visiting Guest
Question basement recessed lighting questions

I am finishing my basement and wondering about a few things:

1. I have a bulkhead for ductwork and various pipes. The bulkhead is pretty wide and I'd like to put a few recessed lights in. Is there a minimum height they need to be above the floor?

2. With 15 or so cans, I'd like to minimize wiring yet maximize the dimming combinations and wondering if anyone has experience with the Halo DSP dimming system or something similar. As far as I can tell it allows for dimming individual fixtures, all at once or any combo.

3. I noticed some wording on the inside of the can - "Maximum of (8) No. 12 AWG through branch circuit conductors." Does this mean no more than 8 12 gauge wires in the junction box or no more than 8 fixtures on a 12 gauge cirsuit? Or something else outright?

4. Anyone have experience spacing of 6" fixtures using 75 watt flood lamps in 8' ceiling? Looks like there are two measurements when considering spacing. One is how far do you start from the wall and second is distance until next fixture. Any ideas?!?

Thanks for reading and hope the multiple questions in one post is fine!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-04, 09:32 PM
The minimum height of a basement ceiling varies by city. Check locally with your building department.

No more than 8 wires in the junction box. This warning causes a lot of confusion, and many people have incorrectly concluded that it limited the cans on the circuit.

The distance from the wall should be half the distance between fixtures. The spacing depends a lot on what kind of activities you plan, and other factors such as wall and floor color, bulb type, etc. Since you are planning dimmers, I'd space them 3 feet from the wall and six feet apart.