Halogen undercabinet lights

Old 04-29-04, 05:59 PM
Halogen undercabinet lights

Purchased 3 Halogen Undercabinet lights that are 2 3/4" Diameter. Was planning to install them under a cabinet over the sink but the directions say you should NOT install them in a cabinet over the sink. The bottom of the cabinet is 31 inches above the of the sink and in addition there will be a 6" deep Granite Shelve about 12 inches under the lights.

I wondering if it would be OK since we have 31 inches and a shelve in between?

Appreciate your help on this.

Harlan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 06:28 AM
Halogan 'puck' lights aren't sealed against moisture and the internals are suseptable to corrosion. I have one under each of the cabinets on either side of the stove and one has died - probably from the moisture from cooking. It isn't directly above the stove, but it's within about 24" of the burner we use most often.

They might work in your situation since they will be further away and you have the shelf to block the moisture rising from the sink.

Old 04-30-04, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the note Dave,

Do you know of a better solution for small lights like these that will last better?

Thanks,

Harlan.

Old 04-30-04, 01:39 PM
Not really. We don't have a cabinet above the sink so I put a can light in the ceiling. SWMBO insisted on one but I notice that it's seldom used since we also have the sink under a window.

I think I would try the puck light and see if it works for you. Home Depot sells them in four packs so you could always change one out when/if it goes bad. The one that went bad on me lasted three years so it isn't a high maintenance problem.