Ceiling Fan Installation

Old 05-05-04, 08:27 AM
Tony Scaran
Visiting Guest
Question Ceiling Fan Installation

Gentlemen:
I am planning to install a ceiling fan in an upstairs bedroom. Above this bedroom is the attic with sufficient workable space. This a California home (2400 sq ft) with the furnace in the attic. There are two forms of electrical power in the attic - a double receptacle with one being used to plug in the
furnace...the other is unused, and there is a single light bulb fixture.

My questions are: Is it proper to run power from the light fixture to the
ceiling fan?
Or, would it be better to run the power from the
receptacle?
If so, what type, size, etc wire would I use to insure
adequate safety in this installation?
Will the fan then have direct power without being
conrolled by the light switch?

Distance from the proposed ceiling fan installation to the power is 22 feet.

Thank you,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-04, 08:49 AM
My first suggestion is for you to buy or borrow at least one good book on electrical wiring, prefferably two or three, and then read them Your questions give you away as being new to this, which is okay. However, electricity is nothing to be unsure about. You couls easily kill yourself or burn your house down if you do things wrong.

Generally speaking you can take power for a ceiling fan from any available general use circuit. There are some exceptions, such as bathroom, kitchen, and laundy circuits, but other than that any circuit can be used. However, you need to examine the loads already on a circuit, and determine if the new load will push the circuit over the edge and result in tripped breakers, etc.

Also be careful about switched circuits. If your light in the attic is switched, then you may not be able to use this circuit without rewiring it, unless you want the attic light on all the time. Likewise for the furnace receptacle.

The size wire used depends on the breaker size serving the circuit. A 20 amp breaker needs 12 gauge wire, while a 15 amp circuit needs 14 gauge wire.

You will most likely want to install a switch on the bedroom wall to control the fan. Even if the fan has pull chains you plan to use, or a wireless remote control, I still recommend a switch in the bedroom.