Bathroom Lighting

Old 05-06-04, 09:41 AM
MarkMA
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Lighting

Im trying to agree on a lighting plan for a remodeled full bathroom that is only 5x8 with an 8 ceiling. It is a basic layout, enter the center of the room and the tub is on the right / pedestal sink & toilet on the left. I know the experts say to put sconces next to or above the vanity mirror, but I really dont like this look. At this point, we have only agreed on a recessed light in the shower but Id like the look of a recessed light directly over the pedestal sink/mirror (this should also be enough light to read while on the toilet). Will this really cast as many shadows as Im being told? Are there any other alternatives?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-04, 11:25 AM
I would advise against a light over the shower for safety reasons. If you do it, be sure to buy a fixture designed specifically for use above the shower (not just any old recessed fixture), and supply it with GFCI protection if required by the manufacturer.

In my opinion, a 5x8 bathroom can be adequately lighted simply with a multibulb fixture over the sink mirror. Paint the walls a near white to disperse the light. I know you don't prefer it, but the over-the-mirror lighting is the best choice for clearly seeing your face in the mirror.